Should've dropped maths...what now? (1 Viewer)

Bumbletiger

HSC
The subjects I'm currently doing are
Eng Adv
Eng Ext 1
Mathematics
Legal
Eco
SOR2

I dropped business studies a couple of weeks ago, which I shouldn't have & kept maths...For my prelims, with barely any study my total mark for mathematics was 58% averaged for all the assessments, while I got 85% in business without trying..I thought I'd keep maths, due to the idea that If i applied myself, I'd be able to get 70-90%, but I don't know If i feel the same, having attempting to do problems involving minima and maxima (geo appl. of differentiation) with much struggle, I'm not sure I feel the same.
The problem is, business studies have already received their assessment & it's due in 2 weeks & I've missed out on the 6 weeks since I've dropped it..

I really want an atar of 90+, but unsure of what I should do?

Smile12345

HSC
The subjects I'm currently doing are
Eng Adv
Eng Ext 1
Mathematics
Legal
Eco
SOR2

I dropped business studies a couple of weeks ago, which I shouldn't have & kept maths...For my prelims, with barely any study my total mark for mathematics was 58% averaged for all the assessments, while I got 85% in business without trying..I thought I'd keep maths, due to the idea that If i applied myself, I'd be able to get 70-90%, but I don't know If i feel the same, having attempting to do problems involving minima and maxima (geo appl. of differentiation) with much struggle, I'm not sure I feel the same.
The problem is, business studies have already received their assessment & it's due in 2 weeks & I've missed out on the 6 weeks since I've dropped it..

Do you believe you could pick up in Mathematics??

Bumbletiger

HSC
Well, one of the tests in which I applied myself slightly in year 11 I got 86%..but the content now is harder

Smile12345

HSC
Well, one of the tests in which I applied myself slightly in year 11 I got 86%..but the content now is harder
Yes, I agree the content is harder but if you can apply yourself 'slightly' and get that kind of mark, then I believe you can succeed. If you work to revise any content your unsure of, you should succeed... Is the teacher approachable?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Content in 2-unit maths isn't all that bad. If you have very good calculus and geometry skills then you will be fine.
Also, the series stuff and the probability are not that bad.

in 2-unit, you can get a high band 5 or low band 6 by doing all the questions in your textbook comfortably and being able to do the HSC past paper questions comfortably.

You shouldn't have dropped business in the first place and waited until the end of this term before dropping something.
Just work hard and smart and you will be fine.

enoilgam

HSC
First off, are you doing significantly worse in maths compared to your other subjects and do you believe that you can improve? It's also worth considering what you want to do at uni, as 2U is recommended/assumed knowledge for quite a few courses.

Bumbletiger

HSC
I got 85-90% for all my subjects my final prelim report...could've quite easily been 90 for all subjects had I applied myself alittle more for the end of year tests & I got 58% for maths for my total mark for mathematics, with little to no application, however I did get 86% in one test which I applied myself. The problem is, I don't want to be using up all my time to get 80-90% for maths, & compromising my other subjects.

enoilgam

HSC
I got 85-90% for all my subjects my final prelim report...could've quite easily been 90 for all subjects had I applied myself alittle more for the end of year tests & I got 58% for maths for my total mark for mathematics, with little to no application, however I did get 86% in one test which I applied myself. The problem is, I don't want to be using up all my time to get 80-90% for maths, & compromising my other subjects.
What do you want to do in uni?

Bumbletiger

HSC
I honestly don't know...I'm looking into psychology or perhaps something in the corporate world (not sure specifically)

enoilgam

HSC
I honestly don't know...I'm looking into psychology or perhaps something in the corporate world (not sure specifically)
I'd keep it for now and revisit the issue at some point in the future when you have a better idea of how you are going.

Bumbletiger

HSC
I've got no choice but to keep it anyway I guess..If I drop It, I'm left with 9 units...just wanted some insight

gleeek

HSC
Yeah.. There's nothing you can do but mustering motivation and doing well in maths. You should have considered this issue prior to dropping business. Just 'apply' yourself more, you will not compromise your other subjects- equally distribute your time, and then add extra time into maths (cut down on other social activities what not)

Best of luck for the HSC year!

HSC
I feel like you "could" have asked to pick business up again. I missed out 8 weeks of term 4 of year 11 due to hospitalisation and it IS possible to catch up on 8 weeks of content. I'm comparing business studies to legal cos it's quite similar I guess. If you regret maths, there is no going back because you will probably hate it for your entire course, and I know someone personally who has been through this since you need to know everything ... like prelim stuff for your HSC exams.

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC

Costs a bit but can be really useful if you use it effectively - you can keep on going over concepts that you don't get until you click & you can even get ahead of your class!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)