Showing working (1 Viewer)

qldbulls

HSC
Might be a stupid question but is it absolutely necessary to show the whole intended process for something like a 2-marker?
i.e. For a product rule differentiation, stating u(dv/dx)... formula, then substituting, factorising, etc. OR will 2 lines, one substituted into product rule and last line most simplified form, be enough?
Another example are the probability trees will I lose marks by not drawing the tree?
I get that showing everything can salvage you marks from carried errors and also potentially help ensure no mistakes, but for lower-order questions can I save time by cutting corners like the above examples?

Also can I use product rule for a differentiation question that is targeting quotient rule but doesn't explicitly state it? e.g. "Differentiate (x^2)/(x^2 +1)"?
Thank you

cossine

HSC
Might be a stupid question but is it absolutely necessary to show the whole intended process for something like a 2-marker?
i.e. For a product rule differentiation, stating u(dv/dx)... formula, then substituting, factorising, etc. OR will 2 lines, one substituted into product rule and last line most simplified form, be enough?
Another example are the probability trees will I lose marks by not drawing the tree?
I get that showing everything can salvage you marks from carried errors and also potentially help ensure no mistakes, but for lower-order questions can I save time by cutting corners like the above examples?

Also can I use product rule for a differentiation question that is targeting quotient rule but doesn't explicitly state it? e.g. "Differentiate (x^2)/(x^2 +1)"?
Thank you
The amount working out will depend on the precise context. You do not need to write down the theorem. It will be understood from the working out you know the theroem.

For probability trees, if the question asked explicitly for probability trees then yes.

Differentiate (x^2)/(x^2 +1)"? You can do this any way you want. I would use product rule.

As a tip it okay to cut out some working out, however if you feel uncomfortable take your time. Assuming you are comfortable with the content you may be able to finish quite early.

My recommendation would be for you time yourself in the NESA HSC papers or the QLD equivalent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)