Significance of BOS directives in syllabus (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
Just going through the Syllabus making notes, it becomes very, very apparent that a specific verb precedes every syllabus dot point.

My question is, to what extent would it be misguided to pay attention to that word (outline, describe, identify etc.). What I'm saying is, as opposed to just learning the material, would learning how to answer questions (i.e. learning by heart an outline, description, identification) by a beneficial way of approaching the syllabus?

cheers.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Your approach would be fine, however, you need to keep in mind that in the actual HSC exam or your trials, the hardest questions would be when they combine dot points together, so you need to make sure you are connecting dot points within and across modules to make sure your knowledge of the syllabus consists as much of integrated, rather than isolated concepts, as often as possible to prepare for the high mark questions:)

Triage

HSC
N/A
Your approach would be fine, however, you need to keep in mind that in the actual HSC exam or your trials, the hardest questions would be when they combine dot points together, so you need to make sure you are connecting dot points within and across modules to make sure your knowledge of the syllabus consists as much of integrated, rather than isolated concepts, as often as possible to prepare for the high mark questions:)
What method would you recommend for gaining an integrated understanding?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Just going through the Syllabus making notes, it becomes very, very apparent that a specific verb precedes every syllabus dot point.

My question is, to what extent would it be misguided to pay attention to that word (outline, describe, identify etc.). What I'm saying is, as opposed to just learning the material, would learning how to answer questions (i.e. learning by heart an outline, description, identification) by a beneficial way of approaching the syllabus?

cheers.
It's better to do both? If a syllabus dot point specifically says 'assess the impact XYZ on society' then it's possible a question related to that dotpoint could be asked, say 'describe what XYZ actually is'. So don't just religiously learn the syllabus as specified by the verbs used but moreso the underlying content as well.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What method would you recommend for gaining an integrated understanding?
This comes from critically thinking about the content that you have learnt and what the connections between dot points are-you might want to make mind maps, and it also essentially involves you doing both of the things you have said-like Trebla as recommended:). It is important to pay attention to the directives, but it is also important to have an in depth understanding of the knowledge that is possibly being tested by the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)