SIgnificant Figures? (1 Viewer)

bjw22

HSC
Sorry to ask another stupid question.

How many significant figures should we put our answer to if there is multiple different ones given - I would probably use the lowest or match up the correct thing I'm trying to find with the correct thing if you know what I mean. e.g if concentration was given to 3 sf and volume was given to 4sf and I found concentration, I would do it to 3dp?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
You do the lowest amount that you actually used in your calculation. So for example lets say we had 3.00 L and 2.0g, and we used both in some formula to find a quantity then we would do the lowest amount of two which is 2.0 (which is 2 significant figures)

Other case sometimes they put values that you aren't supposed to incorporate. Lets say for example we had 3.00L and 2.00g and 1.0 mol/L. Consider the case the last value we don't actually use in any formula at all throughout the calculation, then the lowest significant figure amount is three. (because we have not used it 1.0mol/L in our calculation and therefore, it can't affect your end answer significant figures).

Summarising you put your answer to the lowest amount of significant figures of the values you USED in the calculation directly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)