• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Silly B.S. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Be careful who you listen to.

In the 70s-80s there was a big 'get fit america' movement. Government, celebrities and big fitness companies got behind this campaign as america continued to get fatter.

Because barbell exercises (as you'll remember from your first bench press) are hard to learn, the campaign put a lot more effort on easier exercises like dumbell curls, crunches on a swiss ball, a whole bunch of machine crap and pumped out a lot of rhetoric 'this will tone your thighs girls' to support it. This sort of stuff gets coughed up by complete idiots every now and then, and seems to have a big voice on this forum.

If you're really interested in weightlifting, check out a guy called Mark Rippetoe. His name gets flogged everywhere, and granted half the people talking about him dont have a clue what he's on about, but basically this guy's gym has churned out 17 american pro olympic weightlifters. But as you know, olympic lifting isnt a very big sport - how this guy really makes his money is that he packs a lot of muscle mass on high school footballers, wrestlers, baseball players etc to improve their performance. He's very good at what he does.

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
Good post, I know I fell in to this trap for a long time when I first started lifting. I was using a 4 day split, something like:
- Chest & shoulders
- Bicepts, tricepts, lats
- back, stomach & obliques
- Legs

With EVERYTHING being 3 sets of 10.

The big problem is even with a program like this you do make newbie gains initially, making you think this kind of program is working.

I really want to get hold of starting strength, can't find anyone who has it though and don't have a credit card for ordering it online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)