Silly But confusing Q - haber process (1 Viewer)

stoydgen

Shiftius Curry
HSC
Hey guys was just curious, is the ideal temperature for haber process 400 or so degrees C? Coz i've seen a fair few books saying 400,a fair few saying 500. And what is 700K in dergees C? Thanks gys, its a stupid Q, but don't kill me for it :p

Cheers.
Ron

googleplex

HSC
there's no singular answer because each haber vessel is unique. the idea you must understand is that heats are lowered (relatively - industrially these temps are "low") to a stage where forward equilibrium/yield is favoured WITHOUT making the reaction go too slow because of a lack of heat.

ie THE (industrial) COMPROMISE between equilibrium considerations and practical reaction/time constraints

stoydgen

Shiftius Curry
HSC
Alrighty then cool :D Thanks Za, and thanks googleplex for clearing up the fact theres no single answer.

Cheers.
Ron

xeriphic

yer there is no need to mention the actual temperature and pressure for this process, all really is the compromse between reaction rate and product yield XD

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
u can mention temp to show that u have an idea of the schematix involved, but keep in mind that reaction conditions are controlled by engineers and this can vary depending on what country ur talking about. IN Germany, temps and pressures are greater coz they can "handle the pressure" :) that explains some of the discrpancies between different text books

Paroissien

HSC
Justing picking somewhere from 400-500 will be fine.
Pressure 350 atm, or not?

Popo Nana

Don't forget that to produce the greatest yield, you should ideally have the temperature low - I'd be guessing about 0°C - but that's just too damn slow and not cost-effective. For this reason, the ideal temperature is about 400-500°C, where a moderate yield can be produced at a fast rate.

I think of it like finding the maximum value of a Parabola - the amount decreases on either side of it.

eth

HSC
Popo Nana said:
Don't forget that to produce the greatest yield, you should ideally have the temperature low - I'd be guessing about 0°C - but that's just too damn slow and not cost-effective. For this reason, the ideal temperature is about 400-500°C, where a moderate yield can be produced at a fast rate.

I think of it like finding the maximum value of a Parabola - the amount decreases on either side of it.
And that is exactly the way they work out the best temp and pressure to use

Popo Nana

^_^

I just completely blurted - if it makes sense, then hooray! 3 extra marks for me! But it does seem to make sense, so here's hoping ^_^

Good luck tomorrow guys! I'm getting a good sleep for Chem + PE! I'm still trying to figure out why they put those on the same day, but ah well, just gotta deal with what we have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)