Simple harmonic motion (1 Viewer)

gemblack88

HSC
I am having a bit of trouble grasping simple harmonic motion. if anyone has a past paper book, go to question 6 (a) (i) from the 1998 paper, and could you please tell me how i would approach a question like that? I don't reaaly understand the whole Vcos45 and Vsin45 thing in the answers. If you dont have that quesiton on hand, if anyone has any tips on understanding SMH then they would be appreciated - thanx!!

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
gemblack88 said:
I am having a bit of trouble grasping simple harmonic motion. if anyone has a past paper book, go to question 6 (a) (i) from the 1998 paper, and could you please tell me how i would approach a question like that? I don't reaaly understand the whole Vcos45 and Vsin45 thing in the answers. If you dont have that quesiton on hand, if anyone has any tips on understanding SMH then they would be appreciated - thanx!!
That sounds more like projectiles. :p

Post up the question.

zozo

ok, ive got the book and im looking at Q6 Ai from 1998...

firstly its not a simple harminc motion (SHM) question.
SHM is characterised but a point oscillating round a point... that is for instant a clock pedulum moving back and forth.

this is a projectile question

you were on the right track though with you initial velocties... this is a process that you should just learn off, because you often cant do any of the question without the formulas that the process derive.

so ultimatly the question is asking you for the function that the projectile makes. to find that you first have to find x in terms of t, and y in terms of t. to do this you have to start with the initial velocites which are:

x'=VcosO
y'=VsinO

and sustitue 45 in for the angle

that is what the answer is substituting in for C1.

they havent been overly clear in the answer, but they are finding their horizontal and vertical motions in the answer... so jsut go to your notes and follow that process...
integrating

x''=0 and y''=-g

then you can make a cartesian out of you x and y formula thingy's

goodluck

gemblack88

HSC
Thanks heaps for your help. Sorry bout getting the topic wrong - how embarrassing!! I guess I should probably just study more and ill get the hang of it... Dammit I hate the HSC!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)