Simple question: Projectile Motion (1 Viewer)

Equilibrium1

HSC
The following is a question from my textbook:

"Acceleration due to gravity is 10 m/s/s. A body is projected HORIZONTALLY from the top of a building 125 m high with a speed of 10 m/s"...

I know how to answer the questions given, however, a theoretical question is given in the end that i don't really know how to explain. The question is:

"Explain why the time taken to reach the ground is independent of the velocity of projection".

Is it because the time taken to reach the ground is dependent on the acceleration rather than the velocity? But then again, if the velocity is higher, wouldn't it take longer to reach the ground? Sorry, I'm a bit confused...

Thank you!

Robbie_Smith

Banned
HSC
N/A
The following is a question from my textbook:

"Acceleration due to gravity is 10 m/s/s. A body is projected HORIZONTALLY from the top of a building 125 m high with a speed of 10 m/s"...

I know how to answer the questions given, however, a theoretical question is given in the end that i don't really know how to explain. The question is:

"Explain why the time taken to reach the ground is independent of the velocity of projection".

Is it because the time taken to reach the ground is dependent on the acceleration rather than the velocity? But then again, if the velocity is higher, wouldn't it take longer to reach the ground? Sorry, I'm a bit confused...

Thank you!
Isn't it obvious. The velocity is all in the horizontal direction.

Equilibrium1

HSC
Yeah i thought that too =/
But i wasn't too confident in that answer either.

mathfreak94

HSC
The time of flight is independent of the velocity of projection because it depends only on the height and gravitational acceleration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)