Simple Things For Simple Minds (1 Viewer)

m&ss2008

HSC
so i was doing my ext 1 maths today and i realised i was going to have trouble finishing the paper. i started racing through as fast (but still as carefully) as i could but i realised i couldnt trust my mind. i was typing things like 12 - 4 into my calculator and counting on my fingers to get the answer

what does stress do to you and what are your most common silly mistakes?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
m&ss2008 said:
so i was doing my ext 1 maths today and i realised i was going to have trouble finishing the paper. i started racing through as fast (but still as carefully) as i could but i realised i couldnt trust my mind. i was typing things like 12 - 4 into my calculator and counting on my fingers to get the answer

what does stress do to you and what are your most common silly mistakes?
stress, makes me not think properly, so i start doing stuff like -2-3=5 and in perutations i sometimes put a plus sign where i actually ment to put a times sign, even though i put in brackets to make sure i multiplied the stuff inside and added the stuff outside... lol, that was so careless.

nottellingu

HSC
Permuations and Combinations fucked me up big time in my first assesment task. In saying that i rarely feel any sort of pressure or stress in an exam. Its more topics that require analytical think that ur likely to make a mistake in when under pressure compared to ritual textbook questions.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I always do it on my calculator.

How'd you find the 3u paper btw? It was more tedious than 4u haha.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I hate how they put time restrictions on tests. It called a maths test, not a test of how fast you can finnish it! They dont really test your knowledge, they test how fast you can regurgitate it onto a piece of paper!

My mistakes derive from getting stressed out and then rushing, what would be the best way to tackle this?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
kurt.physics said:
I hate how they put time restrictions on tests. It called a maths test, not a test of how fast you can finnish it! They dont really test your knowledge, they test how fast you can regurgitate it onto a piece of paper!

My mistakes derive from getting stressed out and then rushing, what would be the best way to tackle this?
When you actually apply for a job relating math, I'd assume they don't give you an infinite time to solve a/the question.

boris

Banned
HSC
you can minus 4 from 12 using your fingers?

freak.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
You can, but you have to count the joints on your fingers, not the fingers themselves.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
My 3 unit paper was so much harder than 4 unit. and we had half an hour less to do it in.... shocking.

conics2008

HSC
hh for the love of god, screw maths.. im startin to hate it.. i've been comin 1st from year 11 and now im headin for a reccsion... ways to improve it

silverpen

HSC
Lol.

I had my extension 1 exam and the mathematics exam this week. I used my calculator too, for the most unneccessary things like you said, minusing simple thins like 12-4 ...and -2-3 ....i waste so much time using the calculator, stressing and overanalysing the question.

I agee. Its all about how quick you can fly through it, not what you really know.

I made the stupidest mistakes! I sketched a parabola eg. y=x^2 as a straight line on my mathematics 2unit test!!!!! Sooo dumb, im so angry at myself for that because the teacher who marks it will probably think I'm not good enough for extension 1 maths if i cant even at least identify the equation as a parabola.

Argh!

Silverpen. :D

m&ss2008

HSC
its good to hear im not the only one who cant do simple subtraction in my head.

i think 3units harder than 4unit cuz i put so much more work into 4 to get the best mark i can. 3unit kinda gets forgotten.

have a good holidays BoSers, we deserve it!

bobos2

HSC
when i get stressed (like theres only 5mins left and i have this huge quesion 2 deal wif) i overanalyse the question and make it much much much much much more complicated 4 myself. Grr.

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

After our ext. 1 assessment task, I think my class has learnt that stress will get you absolutely no where...

we all came out like wtf? there were like 3 impossible circle geo questions and parametrics that took up at least 3 pages..

at the end we realised that if we hadn't sat there and stressed over questions, we would've done so much better...

so as my teacher says, you go into exams to collect marks.. and we've learnt well.. well i have anyway :)

regardless though, I still stress when there are easy questions that I just can't remember how to do and I know for a fact everyone else in my class will get it.. like in my 4 unit :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)