Singapore. (1 Viewer)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
I'll be heading off to Singapore in July. And just wondering for anyone that's been there - where would be the best place to get electronic things at the cheapest prices, as well as major shopping centres, tourist attractions and great eating places which I should check out?

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Most shopping can be done on Orchard Road, and basically all roads lead to it. For electronics you might want to try Funan IT Mall or Sim Lim Towers, as they're the more popular places. There are a few places on Orchard too, however make sure for all of the places that you know what you want to buy and how much it costs. Don't get suckered into buying something you don't know about - a common trick is to overcharge so that you bargain your way into something close to the RRP, or to switch you to another product. Also be careful of accessories.

There aren't really any shopping malls, however there is one newer one called Vivo City. It has a fair few stores, but probably nothing for a bargain. I've only been there once myself. If you do go there it's easy to get to Sentosa, which is a small island with a few touristy things on it. You can get there by train from Vivo City, or else you can drive across (in a taxi) or take a cable car. There's some museums and things like that on the island, as well as a sorry excuse for a beach :p

Other destinations include the Zoo and the Night Safari (I recommend this one, however how much you see really depends on your luck on the night). I'm not really sure about other touristy places, but Boat and Clarke Quay have a few things to look at. You can take a boat ride down the river that takes about half an hour (basically you just go past some bridges and learn a bit of history). They're both right next to each other and have some decent food as well. Boat Quay has a few clubs if you're into that kind of thing.

Newton Circus is a popular eating location for tourists, but I'm not sure that it's the best and it tends to be more expensive. Really, most local food can be found at hawker centres that are all over the place for very cheap prices.

Hope that helped, if I think of anything else I'll make another post.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
the Night Safari is relaxing but you can barely see anything. I remember I bought the PC game of 'night safari' from there, it was so fun. I also have a night safari shirt somewhere olol.

The food in singapore is so good. SO DAMN FUCKING GOOD.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
hiphophooray123 said:
the Night Safari is relaxing but you can barely see anything. I remember I bought the PC game of 'night safari' from there, it was so fun. I also have a night safari shirt somewhere olol.

The food in singapore is so good. SO DAMN FUCKING GOOD.
They have a Night Safari game? lol. I've been there 5 times or so with visitors and sometimes I've seen heaps and sometimes I've seen jack all. Just depends on the night.

And yeah, the food is damn good (and cheap). I recommend Chicken Rice which my friend has got us all addicted to.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Fish Sauce said:
Most shopping can be done on Orchard Road, and basically all roads lead to it. For electronics you might want to try Funan IT Mall or Sim Lim Towers, as they're the more popular places. There are a few places on Orchard too, however make sure for all of the places that you know what you want to buy and how much it costs. Don't get suckered into buying something you don't know about - a common trick is to overcharge so that you bargain your way into something close to the RRP, or to switch you to another product. Also be careful of accessories.
lolz, i'll take a note of that. Thanks!

Fish Sauce said:
Other destinations include the Zoo and the Night Safari (I recommend this one, however how much you see really depends on your luck on the night). I'm not really sure about other touristy places, but Boat and Clarke Quay have a few things to look at. You can take a boat ride down the river that takes about half an hour (basically you just go past some bridges and learn a bit of history). They're both right next to each other and have some decent food as well. Boat Quay has a few clubs if you're into that kind of thing.
Yeah, my work already booked the Night safari as part of one of our tours.

Fish Sauce said:
Newton Circus is a popular eating location for tourists, but I'm not sure that it's the best and it tends to be more expensive. Really, most local food can be found at hawker centres that are all over the place for very cheap prices.
How much is it usually for food compared to Australia? I'm planning to eat everywhere and anything I can get my hands on, although I don't want to go broke in a couple of days :eek: :(

How small is SG anyway? I heard you can walk around the whole city in a day.

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
Fish Sauce said:

There aren't really any shopping malls, however there is one newer one called Vivo City. It has a fair few stores, but probably nothing for a bargain. I've only been there once myself. If you do go there it's easy to get to Sentosa, which is a small island with a few touristy things on it. You can get there by train from Vivo City, or else you can drive across (in a taxi) or take a cable car. There's some museums and things like that on the island, as well as a sorry excuse for a beach

Hope that helped, if I think of anything else I'll make another post.
listen to the expert. :p

its recommended to only eat on the street and at food courts as they're the best and cheapest ways to eat.

Fish Suace : is the great singaporean sale in june or july???

i want to go to singapore. daaaaaang...

Bel_T

HSC
Best thing I love about Singapore + Malaysia. Tasty AND cheap food. I haven't been back to Singapore in forever, but the last time I went to KL I could get a hawker centre meal (which might not look great but tastes damn good) for about $1-1.50 AUD. Might've risen to $2 by now though XD

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
How much is it usually for food compared to Australia? I'm planning to eat everywhere and anything I can get my hands on, although I don't want to go broke in a couple of days :eek: :(

How small is SG anyway? I heard you can walk around the whole city in a day.
If you stick to the food centres you can get very cheap food (check the health ratings though, they're graded from A down). Usually a meal will cost $2/3/4 depending on the portion size, so you can mix and match from different stalls. Drinks cost about the same, but alcohol is more expensive. Not exactly sure how much by, though. If you eat at Clarke/Boat Quay or at some of the more touristy places the food is more expensive, but try and get them to throw in a drink discount or something because they usually will. The food is pretty good at most places.

It's a fairly small place, and most of the things worth seeing are close to each other apart from the Zoo. You can easily walk the city in a day, I've wandered around many times. It's about a 40 minute walk from Orchard to the main city (really Orchard has more shopping and is closer to the quays), but you can probably do it faster or alternatively catch an MRT which takes 5 minutes and comes very regularly.

If you make your way out to East Coast (you'll most likely drive past on your way from the airport) there are some good seafood places with chili crab, etc.

zangetsu.xo said:
listen to the expert. :p

its recommended to only eat on the street and at food courts as they're the best and cheapest ways to eat.

Fish Suace : is the great singaporean sale in june or july???

i want to go to singapore. daaaaaang...
lol. I actually always feel like I'm forgetting something when I write about the place and that I'm giving the wrong information, so hopefully I'm on the right track. But you're right, the food courts are much, much cheaper than any other option and taste pretty good too.

The Singapore sale is in July, but I've never been too fussed on it. That could be because I never go shopping anyway but I barely even notice when it's on, lol. The streets are always packed with stinges during that month though :D

Oh, and you also might want to check out Suntec City. It's in the city and close to the Esplanade (which you also might want to take a look at, come to think of it) and is a pretty big shopping centre. You can walk from Raffles City (right next to the Swisshotel) to there through an underpass with heaps of shops. The MRT has a stop right at the beginning of the Raffles end of the overpass (that stop is City Hall).

As you can probably tell, Singaporeans don't do much besides shop. :p

3li

HSC
N/A
singaporean PRIDE!!!!!!!!!

there isnt much left to say

singapore is the best country!!!( in terms of evrything)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Love singapore, everyone is so short, so easy to spot your family when you get lost in the sea of asians in the markets.

On a serious note, the markets are open really late, and food is quite cheap, but servings are quite small.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I knew I would get something wrong. I've been switching around the two quays, but substitute them into each other and everything is right. Clarke Quay is the one with the clubs. It looks terrible in the day but at night it actually looks pretty cool. Boat Quay is the one with more touristy eating places.

And like was mentioned above, the shops are open till late. The other side to this is that they don't open till 11 or 12, so don't go out too early to try and beat the rush. Really, going at 11 will beat the rush anyway.

stargaze

HSC
Any gym recommendations?

Will be heading there later this year for a month or so and would really like a place to train.

Thanks

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
stargaze said:
Any gym recommendations?

Will be heading there later this year for a month or so and would really like a place to train.

Thanks
Don't know much about gyms as there's one in my condominium that I use, but there are a few around. There's a Fitness First on Orchard Road as well as a California Fitness, and I think there is a gym at Great World shopping centre (it's fairly close to Orchard). Not sure if it works or not but I heard that if you're a Fitness First member in Australia you can make an extra payment so that you're an international member and can use the gym in other countries.

James747

HSC
lexie85 said:
cross the border and go into malaysia!
Haha... yes, malaysia is a great place. Great food, great people and great shopping! You'll love the satay there esp.

lexie85

HSC
yummm satay with peanut sauce for like 2bux at a cafe sitdown type of place

el gwapo

HSC
magpam said:
omgz the food was so cheap in singapore

i ended up putting so much weight when i went there lol
you should've lost it walking around the city :D great place to visit, but a week would probably be stretching it. I've been there a couple of times, next time I want to visit neighbouring KL. They've not opened decks of any one of their 280m skyscrapers have they?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)