Skrzynecki anyone? (1 Viewer)

Muser

HSC
Long story short my English teacher is a fucking moron, who refuses to explain the meanings in Skrzynecki's poetry (I understand most of it, I'm mainly having trouble with one poem in particular) and had told me "That's not how I teach, if you want the meanings find some notes". Failing even to specify where I might look for some, her response being "They're around".

The poem I'm struggling with being Ancestors specifically, though any other notes would be fantastic.

Thank you

Muser

HSC
Jinsuka said:
hello this is my first post
Any particular reason why you picked my thread?

What the hell, can somebody help me out, at all?

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
um what exactly do you need help with?

any certain quotes?

carolkim45

HSC
ANCESTORS;
I've got some notes that we got from school -

There is a strongly speculative tone to this poem as Skrzynecki reflects on human identity and the chain of life that links us all to our ancestors. Any understanding of who we are involves a consideration of our connection to others. The title alludes to the poet's forebears, those bearded, faceless men who have preceded him in a family line. They are known of and referred to but are not individualised, signifying an ancestral chain but remaining netherworld figures; enigmatic and only half formed. There is no hint of ancestral worship or reverence for tthis human continuum that fuses past and present. Rather there is the emphasis on our own mortality within a context of eternity.
The poem has a simple structure of mostly four line stanzas, presented in the main as rhetorical questions which query our relationshup with those who have preceded us. Sinister connotations arise from references to shadows, dream, whispers and darkness in the opening lines and the tastes of blood which bring the poem to a close. These are loaded terms, able to conjure up disturbing and eerie associations. Perceptions remain indistinct which gives a dark, dreamlike quality to the verse. There is an enigmatic element to the poem's examination of life and death with conplex layers of meaning that are never fully developed.

HERE YOU GO :)
& this is all taken from a book called ;
belonging, an area of study; a resource book for teachers.
I hope this helps.

ShushKebab

HSC
Of Skrzynecki's poem; Ancestors is one of the most difficult to understand - partly because we're instead not offered a perspective to which can be easily understood as a past event in Peter Skryznecki's past.

Here's some notes I have:

Overview and Analysis
This is an interesting and enigmatic poem that raises many questions and images but gives little definite comment. "Ancestors", of course, are the people we are related to that have come before us. The poem encourages the audience think about their past and the people who are responsible for our existence. These figures seem to appear to the poet in a dream but cannot communicate with him. There is a clear spiritual connection between the persona and these "bearded, faceless men" but there is also a real sense of uncertainty as the "whisper into the darkness". This symbolises that they cannot be heard and cannot really be seen clearly.

(I've underlined that - because basically its one of the most important points within the poem.)

Most of us know something of our family ancestors, even if this is only a brief anecdotes or what types of jobs were done. The gaps in our knowledge is represented in these shadowy figures (<---- nightmarish, faceless - seem to be threatening) Skrzynecki does not appear to know much about them. There is continue questioning as he ask who they are and this reflects his confusion (<--- look at the rhetorical questions evident in the end of stanzas). Confusion about who they were but also, uncertainty about what has come before him. He is linked to these people by blood yet their achievements, their "footprints" and their directions have been lost. There is a sense that he has seen photographs of his ancestors when they are described as "bearded, faceless men" and are background by "Mountains", "a river" and "a moonlit plain of grasses and sand". Yet they are essentially unknown and unnamed. The poet's continual use of "they" emphasises this.

There is a sense of frustration in the final stanzas. The poet sees clearer faces yet he awakens and cannot speak. he captures his dissatisfaction and impotence in the simile, "Your tongue as dry as caked mud." Yet there is a sense of the past if not distinct details. Perhaps "the plain where sand and grasses never stir" represent past. It cannot be changed but does still affect the present, hence the image of wind blowing from it. He perceives "The wind tastes of blood" which creates feeling of a violent past or at least one of struggle. (also reinforces the image of nightmare of the shadows)

Ides about Belonging
Although the poet cannot seem to make real connection with the shadowy figures there is a connection. There is a sense of belonging with them as they share blood. This poem shows family belonging. The poet may not know a great deal about theres figures but he really wants to know. There is an unavoidable relationship. The fact that he speaks of them coming into his dreams shows this. They are spiritually joined to him and part of his subconscious. You might notice they are all men which might suggest gender is part of belonging. Perhaps it also reveals Skrzynecki's experience of male-dominated history which was so prevalent in the past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)