Sky-High (1 Viewer)

SuperNova

got a question on interpretation

ok in the last paragraph, second line it says
"the line-etched story of life in scars and wrinkles, easily touch the saggin wires"
what is she refering to when she says "scars and wrinkles"
1. her own hands
2. the washing line?

Thanks for the help:eek:

PSsylockE

i believe shes referring to her hands, since it says 'My hands' at the beginning of that sentence

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
saggin wires; wear and tear of the metal wire - it expands after years of use (emphasies the fact that she HAS GROWN up and changed persepctive: easily touch the wires (ie grown up)) :)

I dont think it has nothing to do with hands dudes:confused:

PSsylockE

How can it be the wires?

if it was the it'll be

"the wires, easily touch the saggin wires"

which doesnt really make sense if ya know what i mean.

chanfky

that image is referring to the hands.
The image of her hands with line-etched story of life in scars and wrinkles reinforces the sense of the aging and nostalgic tone. The fact that she can now touch it easily suggests her growth in maturity through her life experiences.

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
I believe it is referring to her hands as well.

"My hands, beginning to accumulate the line-etched story of life in scars and wrinkles..." refers to her hands.

I think it gives reference to that whole aging process. As we grow older, we tend to have more wrinkles on our hands. And as my English teacher in Yr9 once said, "It is the hands that determine our age. The hands never lie, unless you've had plastic surgery done to them." Hehe.

Confuzzled?!

HSC
arghh.......sky high...the door..... go away!!! lol.....

amy....ahh..went bad..and accept private messages woman:p

personally...i read sky high..and i still had no idea what it had to change.......besides her growing old....lol...oh dear.....a failure in hsc english! LOL

manly girl

Originally posted by SuperNova
"the line-etched story of life in scars and wrinkles, easily touch the saggin wires"
The scars and wrinkles refer to her hands. As people get older their skin becomes wrinkled. The scars act symbolically of the wear and tear she had to go through with regard to all the changes in her life.

Easily touch the sagging wires refers to the washing line. She is older, and thus taller. She can now touch the wires instead of having to climb up. The wires are sagging, because the washing line is old, and probably not a Hills Hoist :)p).

The whole effect of this metaphor is to show the responder how much has changed in the life of the writer.

Confuzzled?!

HSC
omg! the 2nd person with the whole Hills Hoist thing! that's what my english teacher said and we wanted to kill him! Lol.

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
No not really Marina.
Ms Holland said that too :D

I miss Ms Holland. She was such a good teacher.
Ms Slattery is good too, not to mention funny :D

manly girl

Originally posted by Confuzzled?!
personally...i read sky high..and i still had no idea what it had to change.......besides her growing old....
You can get two main changes from it.

Perspective: How the backyard has changed from a place of fun and adventure to a place where she now completes chores. The whole view from the clothesline kinda lets the writer make sense of her life.

Self: Yep, she gets older. You can crap on about how this is reflected in the clothesline aging too. Just grab some quotes and off you go.

If you are still stuck, there are millions of notes out there on the stimulus booklet, which I suggest you look up.

Confuzzled?!

HSC
lol. i am done with english trials.
i'll work on english closer towards trials! lol.

:) thanks manly!

Amy..arghh..bad luck! i heard sorbie say it..not holland =P

manly girl

Originally posted by Confuzzled?!
we wanted to kill him!
Oil up and sharpen the old guilotine first. Nothing worse than having to go again cause it only went through half way.

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
woops.. didnt read the question.
Yeah your right, it is talking about the hands ( i didnt read the second bit of the question)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)