Sleep patterns - Late night study (1 Viewer)

volition

arr.
HSC
Well, as for actually getting to sleep, I find that 'pretending' that I'm already asleep tends to work wonders(it might sound weird, but it seems to work for me). It used to take me about an hour or two to fall asleep, but I've found that now I can fall asleep much faster. Oh yeah and I remember my mum telling me that when i was young (<2 years old) I used to only sleep 4 hours a day, which kept my parents awake a lot of time. She told me that when my family came to Australia (around the time of my 2nd birthday), my sleep patterns became a little more 'normal'. But I've always been able to go with less sleep than my friends, for eg. When we used to sleepover at each other houses I'd almost always be the first one awake, and one of the last to fall asleep. Maybe I'm just lucky... or just stupid I dont know :) but I think I'll change to getting about 7-8 hours sleep rather than 8-9.

Sometimes when you've already started studying and you're into the 'rhythm' of it, you tend to want to stay up and finish it.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
Murf said:
I usually get around 5 hours every day of sleep, three at night, two in the afternoon.... and more on the weekends lol :)

I study very well at night, in the holidays i used to stay up until 6-7am doing school work (assignment) and yeah get lots done that way!

murf
Fuck you're on drugs...

I do about 11pm to 7am...

bout 8 hrs.

hello99999

HSC
don't deprive yourself of too much sleep cos it really fucks you up. don't consume any caffeine after midday and NEVER stay up past 11pm studying for an exam the next day, esp. for non-essay subjects like maths or exams that involve tricky multiple choice.

why?
sleeping actually makes you smarter. if you study for a couple of hours and then have a good night's sleep, you will remember it much better than if you stay up for hours reading over and over and over it trying to remember. after 18 hrs of no sleep, your ability to concentrate and think clearly is about the same as if you had been consuming alcohol (ie. effectively it's about as useful as studying when you're tipsy). You will be slower, less accurate and less creative. studies have shown these sort of results (read this: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro01/web3/Ledoux.html).

LiL_JeN_JeN

WTF is Goonie Goo Goo
HSC
Lack of sleep will not affect your performance unless you stress about it...
It is applicable to sports, not sure bout exams tho...
My sleep is about 7-8 hrs a night and I just dont study well at all...I dont know what it is but I just do not study well...I am not a morning person so mornings are out and at night all I wish to do is sit down and relax...
So I dunno...I just dunno....

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hello99999 said:
don't deprive yourself of too much sleep cos it really fucks you up. don't consume any caffeine after midday and NEVER stay up past 11pm studying for an exam the next day, esp. for non-essay subjects like maths or exams that involve tricky multiple choice.

why?
sleeping actually makes you smarter. if you study for a couple of hours and then have a good night's sleep, you will remember it much better than if you stay up for hours reading over and over and over it trying to remember. after 18 hrs of no sleep, your ability to concentrate and think clearly is about the same as if you had been consuming alcohol (ie. effectively it's about as useful as studying when you're tipsy). You will be slower, less accurate and less creative. studies have shown these sort of results (read this: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro01/web3/Ledoux.html).
Very true. I did the all nighter thing during the HSC and wish I didn't. The stress doesnt screw you up. The physical lethargic feeling kills you. There are benefits form having weird sleep patterns, working at night, studying during the night etc etc but i reckon the negatives far outweigh the positives...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
haha no caffeine after midday? I'm driking a can of coke right now. Last night i was drinking one at 2am :p

MarsBarz

HSC
I usually get between 4 to 6 hours of sleep. It is not uncommon for me to go to bed between 1 and 3 AM during the week and 3AM+ during the weekend. I'm used to getting little sleep. In year eleven I had all nighters every weekend.
I find that it does not drastically affect my performance during the day. Although I do get a bit tired in the afternoon and occasionally have naps.

I guess I'm just a nocturnal person. I tend to be more able to get work done in the wee hours of the morning.

alita

HSC
Deus said:
haha no caffeine after midday? I'm driking a can of coke right now. Last night i was drinking one at 2am :p
I <3 caffeine...I drink at least 2L of diet vanilla coke everyday. :)

Anyway I go to bed around 2am and wake up at around 9am...depends when I have class. On tuesdays I start class at 8:30 so I don't sleep until I get home afterwards, otherwise I'd never be up on time.

On days I have assessments I usually don't sleep at all...Haven't started trials yet but will probably do the same thing. I study so much better at night.

sugar_plum

HSC
alita said:
I <3 caffeine...I drink at least 2L of diet vanilla coke everyday. :)

Anyway I go to bed around 2am and wake up at around 9am...depends when I have class. On tuesdays I start class at 8:30 so I don't sleep until I get home afterwards, otherwise I'd never be up on time.

On days I have assessments I usually don't sleep at all...Haven't started trials yet but will probably do the same thing. I study so much better at night.
diet vanilla coke?\
yuck
if you want caffiene go coffee
yumm
long blacks

bumbo_hippo

HSC
stress hits me when i'm sleeping!!
i'm like a stress-less person...

buh at nite when i'm trying to sleep...all i think about is all da work and exam and blah blah blah...and then i jus roll around all nite...and can't sleep!!!
its been goin on for like...ageZZ~~~

sigh.....is it jus me?

bumbo_hippo

HSC
Murf said:
very easy to fix lol i have the same problem

often i find myself jumping outa bed at 4am getting to my desk and writing down all the stuff i have to do the next day or week and ideas ive come up with then go back 2 bed, it helps clear u mind and let ur ideas and things u gotta do go , while u sleep

murf
well if its not bout skool....i mean exam stuff..
then its bout 'someone'
buh yea...either way i think there is something wrong wif me...>"<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)