• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sleeping TIME??? (1 Viewer)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah when you go camping you're in bed at like 9pm because there's nothing to do after dark when you can't light a fire, and you're awake at 7ish because the tent starts to get hot.

And I do agree that waking up by yourself results in the best sleep. Isn't the last part of sleep the REM part, so if you wake up early you're cutting out the best part of sleep?

I saw an ad in a UK magazine for this "alarm clock" but instead of an alarm it gradually makes the room lighter so it feels more natural to wake up (there is potentially an alarm involved in it too, since light alone isn't enough to wake me up). I wants one.

I like sleep a lot. I'm like Mr Starcraftmazter in that I tend to tough it out during the week and sleep loads on weekends. Unfortunately this means I fall asleep during lectures, and if I have work on the weekend I die.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
My teacher for Information Technology yesterday, had stated that we should be going to sleep at around 1 or 2 am and getting up at 7am. He said that we should be sleeping when we are about to fall asleep as, it will give the brain relaxation and also a time for it to rest, but when we get up in the morning it will be refreshed.

Not sure how to take this information?
Your teacher is much older i'm assuming??

older tyou are...the less you need sleep

zoeanne

HSC
mm yer ur teacher is a tool :p
im in my HSC and i think if iwas only sleeping for a few hours i would be going crazy already..
my sleep pattern durning school days would prob be around.. sleep at 12-1 wake at 7.30-8 (stil i dont feel this is enough sleep :p)
weekends depends what im doing... usually when doing nothin that night sleep around anything from 12-3 wake up around 12-1 (and i have my nanny naps durning the day.. mm i like my sleep but for sure your teacher is a total tool :p

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i think the "go to bed when you're tired" idea has some merit, but if you get tired at like 2am and have to get up 5 hours later, that's not cool. this kind of idea only works if you start getting tired at a decent hour.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
the OP is obviously retarted.
they are an 08 student, and there is already a thread about this in the 08 section.

also, its rediculous to even consider this as been correct, this guy is obviously a moron.

EDIT:

The moron im referring to is the teenager considering 5 hours of sleep a night.
The teacher ( who i know is old ) doesnt need as much sleep( as some one said above ) , although 5hours would be close to breaking point

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
A High Way Man said:
tHe KeY To LoOkiN BeaUtiFuL is SleEp AnD WaTeR
Seriously, that is SO true. I personally, really need my beauty sleep, its my beauty secret :eek:

guruj790

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
I agree that teens need more sleep. When they turn into fully grown adults the trend should reverse. That should explain why old people don't sleep as much.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/teenagers/mg19125672.000-teenagers-lost-in-time.html

This will explain why teens sleep later than usual

EDIT:

From the article above. This I would like to put forward to board of studies :p
insightful
but for the record, and my pattern is conventional to the article, i find it very hard to got to bed b4 11, but very easy to get up and go for a surf at 5 am, after 5 hours of sleep. am very tired from 10-1, then i thrive and get better round 3, rest for an hour, and by 6 i'm ready to go.... weird.
l8z

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
No one in any health magazines/books/articles have ever stated that 5 hours was the recommended (and regular) amount of sleep daily. You often hear 7 - 8 hours and that teenagers need more (since they're developing and whatever).

Oh yeah, and I'm with ^CoSMic DoRiS^^. Uni will hurt badly.

Red Balloon

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
Spoke to my Information Technology teacher today. (20/02/08)

He said just to clarify, we are talking about students undertaking there HSC, we are not talking about teenagers that are in year 7 or 9.

But Teenagers undertaking there HSC which are around the age of 16-18.

He has also told us that sleeping too long can make your brain slugish.
New information???

MICHAEL
It's true that if you sleep in, it often takes a lot longer for your brain to wake up (well it's true for me, anyway), but that's usually because you stay up too late the night before and throw off proper sleeping patterns. I find it much better to go to bed earlier at night and then wake up early in the morning.

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Start waking up at 6am now then, so the periods of hurt and tire come a week before uni. It's pretty effective, although now I just turn off my alarm and sleep a few more hours.

:/

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah if I don't have to wake up, I won't.
Isn't that the entire idea behind the snooze button?

HSC
michael1990 said:
He has also told us that sleeping too long can make your brain slugish.

I do not understand the concept of sleeping too much / oversleeping.

You wake up automatically, without interference when your body and brain is rested, so how is it possible to oversleep.

I don't understand.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
I do not understand the concept of sleeping too much / oversleeping.

You wake up automatically, without interference when your body and brain is rested, so how is it possible to oversleep.

I don't understand.
well a lot of the time i'll wake up but feel too tired to get out of bed, and i'll drift off again for hours. i'm inclined to think that the first time i wake up is when i should be getting out of bed, but it's just laziness/bed warmth that keeps me there.

and of course being woken up by outside factors like people making noise, dogs barking etc have to be taken into account.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
haha sleeping in during winter is the greatest thing ever. I practically die when I have to go shower cos it's so fucking cold.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Azamakumar said:
haha sleeping in during winter is the greatest thing ever. I practically die when I have to go shower cos it's so fucking cold.

The worst thing is the darkness in winter. It makes relatively simple 7am wakeups really hard. And the coldness. Bed is so warm and lovely.

Sleep is the best thing ever. I will also agree with the "too much sleep is bad" thing, though. If I sleep for too long my blood sugar is funny when I get up. Too long is like 12 hours, though.

Pace_T

HSC
Azamakumar said:
yeah tell me about it... when i wake up in the winter i plan every single step i have to take to get ready to hop in the shower so i dont freeze my ass off :p

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i hate it when on a cold dull winters morning and i try to hop in the shower, that theres no hot water since someone forgot to turn on the gas =(

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
hmm u guys seem to like sleeping. i wish we never had to sleep - there would be so much more to do in life. dont we spent almost 1/3 of our life sleeping? thats like 24 years. rofl

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Pace_T said:
yeah tell me about it... when i wake up in the winter i plan every single step i have to take to get ready to hop in the shower so i dont freeze my ass off :p
hahaha same.

and when you get out it's like :eek: with the cold air and the being wet and unclothed and aaaaaah

winter morning showers suck balls

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)