Slight course predicament (1 Viewer)

Themechnaic007

HSC
So my ATAR was 94.3, and my first preference was Science (Advanced) which has a cut-off of 95, although it still has vacancies and I am eligible for the course.
My second preference was Engineering (Chemical and Biomolecular) which i received the offer for, have accepted and enrolled into (was recommended by the uni to enrol as it's not hard to un-enroll from the course and switch if i get the better offer in the first round).

I didn't receive an offer today for advanced science, and there are still vacancies. Is there any possibility of me getting into the course, or should I just stick with chemical engineering?
Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

engineering

HSC
N/A
There is still the final round, but history suggests cut offs do not fall from late to final round. All you can do is keep advanced science as your first pref. There is nothing more you can do now.

J18134

HSC
If you wanted to study science, Im intrigued why you didnt enrol in a regular BSc, where you have access to exactly the same subjects as in a BSc (Advanced) and probably more course flexibility. You could also transfer into a BSc (Advanced) from a BSc.

Just seems a bit off how you did your preferences. A BSc has a fairly low ATAR requirement but that isnt at all indicative of the course (because as i said its essentially the same degree as a BSc (Advanced) but just sounds less prestige to a recent school leaver)

If you want to do study Id try get a late round science offer because doing an engineering degree because you could get into the prestigious sounding science degree when you really want to do science is a bit odd.

That said if youve decided youre passionate about engineering maybe it worked out

milkytea99

HSC
OP, did you do ext 1 maths, physics , chemistry and biology in year 12 and achieved at least band 5 in all of them? If you did then you might've received some bonus points to get in since your atar is sooo close to the cut off. Unless you didn't do the prerequisites or meet the requirements.

As I have a friend who is in the same boat as you, but he didn't do 3u in year 12 . Only did 2u so he didn't get any bonus points to get into advanced science at usyd. He ended up choosing the science degree and hopefully transfer to advanced science next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)