small question on space travel (1 Viewer)

^___^
HSC
ahh..

but what will happen when u reached to the speed of light..

will the dimension ur seeing be any different?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
ahh..

but what will happen when u reached to the speed of light..

will the dimension ur seeing be any different?
But you dont reach the speed of light you simply shorten the distance you travel ;) See the link in my other post on this page.

^___^
HSC
yes, i know what u mean

but what i mean is if ur travelling at the speed of light, what will happen to you just b4 u reach there..

cos apparently if u travel at high high speed, things will demented...
and apparently u can see clocks stationary and stuff...

zeropoint

HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Why bother getting to the speed of light, just change the amount of space you have to cover.
Not bloody likely. All of the so called ``warp-drive'' proposals considered in literature require the existence of ``Negative'' matter (not antimatter) with negative mass, negative energy and negative gravitational attraction. Considering that this would violate both the second law of thermodynamics and the law of cause and effect, the existence of negative mass is therefore about as massively improbable as anything can get.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
yes, i know what u mean

but what i mean is if ur travelling at the speed of light, what will happen to you just b4 u reach there..
Well if you get limits of the time dilation formula, at the speed of light things should stop. So you wouldnt be able to stop since relative to everything else in the universe you arent moving at all.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by zeropoint
Not bloody likely. All of the so called ``warp-drive'' proposals considered in literature require the existence of ``Negative'' matter (not antimatter) with negative mass, negative energy and negative gravitational attraction.
"We see then that, just as happens with wormholes, one needs exotic matter to travel faster then the speed of light. However, even if one believes that exotic matter is forbidden classically, it is well known that quantum field theory permits the existence of regions with negative energy densities in some special circumstances (as, for example, in the Casimir effect). The need for exotic matter therefore doesn't necessarily eliminate the possibility of using a spacetime distortion, like the one described above, for hyper-fast interstellar travel."- The warp drive: hyper-fast travel within general relativity, Alcubierre (1994).

So now it just becomes the problem of finding exotic matter in the region around us and harnassing it, of course we would probably destroy the Earth the first time we try.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by ...
yes, i know what u mean

don't know... but Mr E albert will tell you that 300,000 kilometres per second... it's not just a good idea, it's the law. :D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well apart from you not moving relative to everything else in the universe, you will have no length and infinite mass so basically if you go past everything near the speed of light, you will have the same effect on it as a black hole does.

zeropoint

HSC
Originally posted by ...
yes, i know what u mean

As you speed by Earth at some arbritary fraction of light speed, you will observe an Earthbound clock to run slow and contract in length in the direction of motion. The mass of objects appears the same regardless of your velocity.

Then why cant we reacht he speed of light, if mass doesnt not increase to the point of infinity, then any continuous application of force will eventually bring the object to above the speed of light.
Recall that 4-acceleration is the proper time derivative of 4-velocity A<sup>u</sup> = dU<sup>u</sup>/dt<sub>0</sub> where 4-velocity is the derivative of 4-position with respect to proper time, and 4-position is a 4-dimensional vector in space-time of the form x<sup>u</sup> = (ct, x, y, z) where c is the speed of light, t is the time coordinate and x, y, z are the three spacial coordinates. Therefore U<sup>u</sup> = d/dt<sub>0</sub> (ct, x, y, z) = (c dt/dt<sub>0</sub>, dx/dt<sub>0</sub>, dy/dt<sub>0</sub>, dz/dt<sub>0</sub>). It's clear as day then that U<sup>u</sup> = gamma (c, v<sup>i</sup>) where v<sup>i</sup> = (dx/dt, dy/dt, dz/dt) is the ordinary 3-velocity. In the rest frame of the particle it is obvious that U<sup>0</sup> = (c, 0, 0, 0). Working through the algebra it can be shown that the magnitude of A<sup>0</sup> is equal to the proper acceleration alpha felt by the observer on the ship. Furthermore, the proper acceleration can be related to the coordinate acceleration a by

alpha = gamma<sup>3</sup> a

(too tedious to prove here). Clearly for constant alpha, a must diminish as gamma diverges. As you can see this nothing to do with relativistic mass.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by zeropoint
(too tedious to prove here). Clearly for constant alpha, a must diminish as gamma diverges. As you can see this nothing to do with relativistic mass.
Dam it I understand 99% of that, Im getting too nerdy. I havent come across that before.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Dam it I understand 99% of that, Im getting too nerdy. I havent come across that before.
you're getting too nerdy?

zeropoint is nerd here... what the heck is that about? i should study more phy so i can communicate with the guy...

anyways here is a definition of 'quantum mechanics' that was deleted with the other thread: a crew kept on the payroll to repair quantums, which decay frequently to the ground state. :D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
zeropoint is nerd here... what the heck is that about? i should study more phy so i can communicate with the guy...

anyways here is a definition of 'quantum mechanics' that was deleted with the other thread: a crew kept on the payroll to repair quantums, which decay frequently to the ground state. :D
He was talking about 4 dimensional velocity etc. Don't bother trying to imagine it, you wont be able to, humans can't. If you think 4 dimensions are hard try doing 11 or 12 (the amount theorised there to be).

abdooooo!!!

Banned
He was talking about 4 dimensional velocity etc. Don't bother trying to imagine it, you wont be able to, humans can't. If you think 4 dimensions are hard try doing 11 or 12 (the amount theorised there to be).
LOL. thats why didn't wanted to do cosmology... philososphy is much more logical. although you get crap like time travel in philosophy but that 11 or 12 dimensions m-brane theory is just totally queer. :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
philososphy is much more logical.
How is philososphy logical? Philososphy requires to much faith for me, like that there is a purpose to existance.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
How is philososphy logical? Philososphy requires to much faith for me, like that there is a purpose to existance.
you don't have to be faithful... thats the difference between philosophy and religion. and you don't have to believe in everything science tells you. its all intuition. :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
you don't have to be faithful...
Yes it does, you have ot believe that there is a purpose to life and what life is. Instead of just a whole bunch of electrical impulses.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Yes it does, you have ot believe that there is a purpose to life and what life is. Instead of just a whole bunch of electrical impulses.
i don't know... i believe there is no purpose... how do you know its a bunch of electrical impulses anyway? it might be something more powerful... a force that is GOD. :D

nah, at the moment i'll just stick to the biology explaination of life... its logical enough: conditions of early Earth is just right for the synthesis of amino acid out of N, O, C... whatever else that i can't remember... then from there Darwin comes in with his evolutionary theory due to natural selection or the law of probability... couple of million years later humans is on Earth and thinking what is the purpose of all this life??? and some idiots with some sought of mental problem thinks too hard and chucks a mass suicide... known as terriosts suicide bombing for their god. :p

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by ...
Well since there is no time passing at that speed, there is no "just before", right?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
He was talking about 4 dimensional velocity etc. Don't bother trying to imagine it, you wont be able to, humans can't.
Well you kindof can.

Think of all three spatial dimensions, and give them co-ordinates of numbers. Any object in the 3d space has 3 coordinates, right? For the time co-ordinate, change the colour of the object.

This method also shows how we can undo knots through the fourth dimension.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Well you kindof can.

Think of all three spatial dimensions, and give them co-ordinates of numbers. Any object in the 3d space has 3 coordinates, right? For the time co-ordinate, change the colour of the object.

This method also shows how we can undo knots through the fourth dimension.
Yeah you can do that for as many dimensions as you can think of defining conditions (eg, taste, colour, texture etc) but it really isnt the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)