Smaller is better (1 Viewer)

Are country schools disadvantaged to the Sydney schools?

• YES, they are disadvantaged.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • NO, who cares about the country schools.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

countrychick

Remember though everyone, that the smaller the class, the better the teacher:student ratio is. We have 5 students in IPT (300 in whole school) in preliminary and I find it better when you are having class discussions as you can actually "get your say in" with out certain members of our year jumping in.

I go to what is considered to you as a small school, but its a HAPPY place.

Azn fairies

ummm just a side note..ur pol choses are a bit bias (should have learnt that from IPT :p)
if i want to choses "no", i can only vote for
"NO, who cares about the country schools."-> and this stament is kind of has a neggative spin to it.. it says that we don't care about the country school...

waht happen to the choses of " NO, they are not disadvantaged"...one that is similar to choses 1...
hope that made sense?.

Azn fairies

and can i just ask u...form ur attiltude (waht u voted, and ur sig) u seem to think that the city people don't care about the country schools or people....why do u think that is so??

how do u know we don't care?..it's just that there is nothing to care about:p

Huy

HSC
N/A
Of course, if you have a smaller class size, then teachers will be able to allocate more time to you. That's obvious. If you're at university, one lecturer will not be able to tell one student from another (if you know what I mean), he/she wont be able to know if you're away from a lecture, if you haven't done your "homework" or anything else.

If you have a smaller class, then the teacher will be able to keep track of all his/her students, where they're at, be able to talk to you more often, and so on.

That's not to say that in a "large" class, you won't be able to have your say. If that's the type of person you are, you will always speak up and move away from the pack/herd. Even in a class of 20-30 students, if you've got something to say, I don't think anybody would "hold back" just because they are afraid of the other members in the class, that's not the case here at my school. Everybody gets to speak their mind and everyone listens, of course, if it's funny, then the speaker gets a laugh.

We don't put anybody down for "not understanding" though. :)

Just my 2 cents, don't run me over. :)

/edit
If you're in the country, or if you're in the city, it will still depend on the student and his/her academic ability. If you had a student growing up in the city, and he/she is academically capable of performing well in a given subject (say IPT), then he/she is competing against city students as well, in the same subject.

Teachers are another issue, as well as which school the student attends. It is all about circumstances.

Last edited:

Azn fairies

well..i don't really think country students are disadvantaged education wise..casue smaller class mean more attention and therefore more work done...but u can say that the teachers are craper... and that why the boared of studies take intoa account this ...casue u can apply for the special stuff (forgot what it's called) and egt extra 5%...:p

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Azn fairies
the boared of studies take intoa account this ...casue u can apply for the special stuff (forgot what it's called) and egt extra 5%...:p
Educational Access Scheme (EAS).
Or just "Access" to some. :)

I voted for "I don't know"

So that means you must have voted for "YES, they are disadvantaged"
well..i don't really think country students are disadvantaged education wise..
:)

rx72c

Country students, how are they disadvantaged, theyre bloody advantaged. We got 60 people in a class and they got 2, i mean how cool is that. a ratio of 1:60(overexaggerating) compared to 1:2, i mean come on.

countrychick

but think about the subject aspect. city schools are offered a wider range of subjects in the hsc compared to country schools because, this is no ones fault i guess, butt he teachers dont come to the country....don't know why, cant fault it.

Azn fairies

hye huy..i voted for "no- they are not disadvanetaged" - read my first post
ummm just a side note..ur pol choses are a bit bias (should have learnt that from IPT :p)
if i want to choses "no", i can only vote for
"NO, who cares about the country schools."-> and this stament is kind of has a neggative spin to it.. it says that we don't care about the country school...

waht happen to the choses of " NO, they are not disadvantaged"...one that is similar to choses 1...
hope that made sense?.

Originally posted by countrychick
but think about the subject aspect. city schools are offered a wider range of subjects in the hsc compared to country schools because, this is no ones fault i guess, butt he teachers dont come to the country....don't know why, cant fault it.
countrychick- ur reight there, the subject choice may be less. but that also appies to the city as well. (example our school don't have history casue only 4 students choses to do it, and therefore class to small to operate).. and i heard that last year the person who top the HSC in history with 97% was from the country and he didn't evenm have a teacher ..lol

rx72c

countrychik, cool nick. Subject choices, im in the city and have no subject choice or very little.

Huy

HSC
N/A
hye huy..i voted for "no- they are not disadvanetaged" - read my first post
The poll must have been edited after you had said that.
I apologise, :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)