smh: new light on where money goes for private schools (1 Viewer)

philphie

Banned
HSC
so reading today's smh, according to them next year's average fees for private schools will be at most 11%. now the government is forcing school boards to reveal their books on funding figures and where all the fees are going to plus if the increase in fees reflect on comparative school results.

these are the statistics the smh released:
ascham increased from $24600 to $26200
kambala from $24458 to $26172
SCEGGS Darlinghurst $24413 to $25878
The King's School $23442 to $24730
Newington $22170-$23454
PLC Sydney $21350-$22580
Barker $20996-$22152
Reddam House $20215-$21730
Kincoppal Rose Bay $19600-$20900
Roseville College $19410-$20190

won't bother to mention the rest because the increase isn't over 20 grand (anything under really isn't a private school, and obviously there are other schools with fee increases that weren't mentioned in the smh)

so do we think the fee increase is justified?

how do your parents feel about this?

in my opinion if the fee increase was solely based on better hsc results then in that perspective it is justified (just look at this year's rankings) though i personally feel that the private school boards should not raise fees based on this, paying a minimum of 20 grand you expect your kids to get good results.

i remember the days of pre 2006 when Grammar and most AAGPS NSW had fees no higher than $20000

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
not king david, just the King's School. the only school up there that remotely resembles a Jewish school is Reddam. but now since you're talking about melbourne schools, how are the fees down there?

philphie

Banned
HSC
that's fucking unbelievable, 6 years of that (obviously though it wouldn't be as high as 50 grand for lower years) and taking in consideration siblings (yes i am aware of thefee discounts for each sibling after) despite that though that's fucking a lot.

Last edited:

Anonymous-

Banned
HSC
N/A
Only the elite send their childrens to such schools

bio_nut

HSC
Why would you find it ridiculous when most unis are so heavily subsidized by the State?

Compare say private universities and private schools if you're looking at it that way.

+inflation dude

philphie

Banned
HSC
you still get a significant amount of middle class nazi mums pushing their kids into their no matter what. even a lot of 'normal' families have one child in the family attending private schools at the cost of taking out another mortgage, no special expenses withing the family, etc

philphie

Banned
HSC
fed funding alone for the king's school for this year was $4285447, i'm not familiar with federal education budgets but that does sound like a lot

philphie

Banned
HSC
i heard that one of the reasons the fee increase was a fair bit higher than inflation this year was because a lot of gps schools changed to a new teaching contract thingo, which raised salaries for most of the staff...
hah and who says teachers don't get enough?

jellybelly59

HSC
it's justified merely by its status as a private institution - if you don't like the service or the fees for the service simply turn to alternatives and in this case that's either a cheaper private school or the public sector.

How do my parents feel about it? They think quality education is something that can only be afforded by the wealthy and this article certainly doesn't shift their disillusioned image.

philphie

Banned
HSC
it's justified merely by its status as a private institution - if you don't like the service or the fees for the service simply turn to alternatives and in this case that's either a cheaper private school or the public sector.

How do my parents feel about it? They think quality education is something that can only be afforded by the wealthy and this article certainly doesn't shift their disillusioned image.
can your parents afford it comfortably? do you mind me asking what school you attended?

philphie

Banned
HSC
you can't ultimatum parents forever, if doing that was gonna be full proof you might as well increase fees as high as the school board wants to, even then you'd be attracting federal intervention just like what is happening now

banco55

HSC
A lot of the money elite private schools spend goes on expensive luxuries that make a negligible difference to children's education outcomes. The co-curricular stuff eats up an incredible amount of money. Plus once that shit is built (a performing arts theater, lavishly equipped sports halls, boat sheds etc.) they have to pay for the upkeep for ever more. Keeping tuition down is very low on their list of priorities. All of the boards and headmasters are empire builders.

qaz0981

HSC
won't bother to mention the rest because the increase isn't over 20 grand (anything under really isn't a private school
so, by your definition, there are only ten private schools in NSW?

philphie

Banned
HSC
so, by your definition, there are only ten private schools in NSW?
like i said, their are more schools that have had fee increases that the smh didn't mention. i just included the ones they published that were over 20 grand. there also others like santa snobbina, mlc, Scots college, meriden, trinity, Cranbrook, etc

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
how is KNOX GRAMMAR not on that list??? lol theyr full of elitist bastards!!!!!!!!!!!

philphie

Banned
HSC
lies. half the people i knew at school had both their parents working really really hard just to cover fees. not all parents are cashed up investment bankers or whatever

this. but thank god for scholarships :D

yeah this is true to an extent, having reviewed all of the financial statements for kings (which are available on their website, if anyone is interested) - an interesting new trend is that some bigger private schools are spending a fair bit of money marketing themselves overseas, particularly in south east asia, trying to get wealthy people from sea to send their kids to boarding schools
is this something you do for leisure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)