Smoking in a car with under 16 yr olds now illegal (1 Viewer)

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
There's no way to police this properly- out of every 20 people who will do this, only like 1 will get caught

It's a moral law, they want people to stop smoking so as to not infect those under 16 with smoke.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
They can uphold a few laws with one pull over:
-One handed driving
-Littering, if you can smell ciggies, ask for the ash tray, if no ash, book them for flinging shit out the window
-Passenger age.

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
-One handed driving
-Littering, if you can smell ciggies, ask for the ash tray, if no ash, book them for flinging shit out the window
-Passenger age.

There is no such thing as a law against one handed driving

Joel8945

HSC
When i was going up to Ballarat with my parents and my mum's friend and her family. I had to sit in her friends car for the whole drive (because my mate asked me to go in his mum's car) and she smoked for the whole time.

It is the worst thing you could be exposed to!

I hope this law passes because I hate being around smokers and is it just me or do people still smoke under the roof of the train station or a bus stop. As for people being angry at friends smoking in their car if this law were to pass, it would be the driver who would get the fine not the passenger, since, the passengers are the drivers responsibility.

Joel8945

HSC
Good thing but parents who are addicted to nicotine won't follow it and police officers probably won't pull anyone over to check ages.
If the police saw a parent smoking in the car with a baby. They would definately fine.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
exactly.

what, they think once you hit 17 you're magically immune to the harm cigarettes do?

but yeah, good law imo.
**16. i think it's because it's legal to start smoking when you're 16 and they can't really fine you for smoking in the car when the others sitting in the car are smokers too.

HSC
**16. i think it's because it's legal to start smoking when you're 16 and they can't really fine you for smoking in the car when the others sitting in the car are smokers too.

No, I meant 17.

I'm guessing they meant 16 and under so yeah, I meant 17.

I don't get why it's legal to smoke when you're 16 but you can't legally buy them til you're 18?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Your kids don't have the choice of avoiding it. I think this law is 100% a good idea.
How does this thread possibly fit within Light and Offbeat??? It constitutes a serious debate about the freedom of adults versus the protection of children.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
-One handed driving
-Passenger age.
wtf is the one-handed driving law and passenger age? :S

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
No, I meant 17.

I'm guessing they meant 16 and under so yeah, I meant 17.

I don't get why it's legal to smoke when you're 16 but you can't legally buy them til you're 18?
i dunno. i assumed it was sixteen because it said sixteen and under and it had a rational explanation as to why that age.

i have no idea about that rule. seems kinda stupid.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
wtf is the one-handed driving law and passenger age? :S
pretty sure it's not illegal to drive with one hand, so yeah, don't know about that.

the passenger age is what this thread is talking about.....

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
How does this thread possibly fit within Light and Offbeat??? It constitutes a serious debate about the freedom of adults versus the protection of children.
Because "Light and Offbeat" is a poor title for what this forum is.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
pretty sure it's not illegal to drive with one hand, so yeah, don't know about that.

the passenger age is what this thread is talking about.....
Oh, I thought they meant there's some law about what age you can be in a car or something... haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)