Snow falling on Cedars (1 Viewer)

Beautifulhands

Hey, thought this site was worth the Lookm,just wondering if anyone else found the novel in the Crime fiction unit "Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson really really boring. I have onyl got about 47 days til the HSC, and i have only read about 36 pages. Most goddam boringest book on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!Better start reading Hey???????????:confused: :rolleyes:

bex

HSC
hahahahahahahahha the movie is just as boring!!! i got sooooo bored when we did SFOC i fell asleep everytime i tried to read it!

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
The first time i read it i really had to force my self to keep reading, i was thinking how many fricking times does this guy want to discribe the island and the trees, but as it went on it was a bit better and then when i re-read it i almost liked it. I still like The Real Inspector Hound the best though.

Rosencrantz

I cannot stand Snow Falling on Cedars it bugs the heck out of me! The movie is not much better (funnily enough) but at least it means you can get an idea about the book off it (no where near as much though - strangely enough).

40 odd days or so til the HSC, i'd better get reading SFOC i got half way through it last time and then gave up.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Welcome to the world of fudging!

Are we not paying attention to the press, you don't need to have actually read the text, all you need is notes.

Milly

I also found SFOS bloody boring, I practically had to bribe myself with chocolate to read the next chapter. Somehow I managed to get through it. However, it's got some good commenting-on-society stuff, so I still used it in one of my essays, (it was one of the ETA practice questions - along the lines that crime fiction explores and comments on the world that it depicts) so if you guys need some fodder, here's some (excuse my ridiculously long sentences). Hope it helps :)

It is debatable whether Snow Falling on Cedars is indeed crime fiction or romance; however it is the suspicious death of a white fisherman on the North American island of San Piedro and the subsequent murder trial which is a catalyst for the recollection of a poignant love story, which highlights the prejudices and tensions between the islanders of white and Japanese descent. Although during the trial we see little direct racism, an undercurrent of it runs through the novel, most obviously when the prosecutor Alvin Hooks appeals to the jury to look at closely at the face of the Japanese defendant Kabuo Miyamoto. The lovingly detailed description of the secret teenage love affair between the Japanese Hatsue and the white Ishmael, contrasted with the vivid horror of the war which separates them, also emphasises the disastrous effects of the cultural divide. The style of writing is highly symbolic, with the snow representative of the cold beauty of the world, the sturdy cedar trees of the strong bonds of love that make life bearable in it, and the storm of the irrational fear and hatred that threatens to uproot these steadying influences. The "crime" at the centre of the action is simply a narrative vehicle for Gutersons message about the human hearts potential for intense love and unrelenting hate.

natalie

lol. i seem like the odd one out here
i think that snow falling on cedars was one of the
best books i have ever read. compared to the skull beneath the skin it is alot better.

Emma, now theres a book you have to force your way through
i only read two pages at a time i couldnt stay awake
anyway good luck everyone in your hsc

pashiewashie

I agree with natalie, snow falling on cedars i reckon is an excellent book, but ill give you a few tips on how to read it without falling asleep:

1. Firstly find out roughly how many pages you can read without falling asleep if you can read 56 youre laughing.

2. Then purchase Cliffs notes on Snow falling on cedars and read the 56 pages which has summarised the huge novel.

3. Why is this good? Coz, the notes tell you what you have to look out for, trust me i read it in around 45 mins the whole thing and i came back to school and i know more about it then my english teacher, so yeah the notes do point out the crap that teachers will test you on.

Snow Falling on cedars is a good, book but if you dont have time like me get the notes...

LOLZ

yayhsc2008

HSC
i would have to agree with natalie too.
at first, i found the book extremely tedious and i gave up on reading it fora few weeks but after a while, i found myself wanting to continue reading it.
it gives a great inisght into the way in which people work and how they react to other cultures and things like that.
i did this book for my prelim. advanced english and i found it to be really benifical with my extension stuff.
so my best advice is to stick with it.
just read a few pages at a time and make notes as you go.
good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)