Snow Leopard (1 Viewer)

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
it is actually debated about how legal or illegal it is to install OSX on a PC.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Hmm, let's see.
Oh I know - you break the licensing agreement, you break the law.
How's that, sweetheart?

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Why wouldn't you be able to put OSX onto a pc with windows installed? If you own the pc and you have a legitimate copy of OSX, then there should be nothing stopping you being able to dual boot it, or even format and install OSX. Is there actually something in the Windows EULA that specifies that you are not allowed to uninstall windows or dual boot it with another OS?

It would have thought it would be just like having two progams, and deleting one and installing another. You still have both disks and can change back whenever you want. I don't know why you'd want OSX in the first place though...

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Why wouldn't you be able to put OSX onto a pc with windows installed? If you own the pc and you have a legitimate copy of OSX, then there should be nothing stopping you being able to dual boot it, or even format and install OSX. Is there actually something in the Windows EULA that specifies that you are not allowed to uninstall windows or dual boot it with another OS?

It would have thought it would be just like having two progams, and deleting one and installing another. You still have both disks and can change back whenever you want. I don't know why you'd want OSX in the first place though...
Because OSX is a great operating system and is built on Unix?

And yes, the Mac EULA explicitly states that you cannot have the operating system on any computer besides a Mac (and some special exemptions)

It's just some people think it's not illegal because of the first sale doctrine (which does not apply to this in the first place), and the old issue of the validity of EULAs (which are perfectly valid in court)

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Hmm, let's see.
Oh I know - you break the licensing agreement, you break the law.
How's that, sweetheart?
No you don't you stupid cunt. You break your contract with that provider and open yourself up to a civil dispute.

You fucking moron.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
No you don't you stupid cunt. You break your contract with that provider and open yourself up to a civil dispute.

You fucking moron.
Relax son, no need to :burn: over nothing

Also, contracts/EULAs are legally binding
Hence, breaking the legally binding contract/EULA is illegal

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Fact checking in this thread, first page:
1. It's not a service pack, it's a complete OS rewrite. Under the hood everything is being done differently, faster and takes advantage of new technologies such as GPU processing and GCD. Windows 7 inherits the bulk of its code from Vista.
2. Macbook HDDs are designed for easy replacement.
3. OS X actually has a richer Unix heritage than Linux, due to being based mostly off NeXTSTEP ideas.
4. The 'proper programmes' you'll not find on OS X are games. In 90% of other cases there's actually a better free solution than what's offered for Windows (see adium vs msn messenger. The latter dedicates just a third of its chat window to actual chat).

"So I can play COD:4 on OSX now? I can play C&C 3? I can run .exe files? I can get a decent AntiVirus for my computer now that Mac have hundres of viruses written for them? OSX now works out what components have driver problems etc?"
Sounds like somebody needs an XBox.

EDIT: From here on in, you can't tell me Windows isn't broken unless you can explain why the COM API was ever a good idea.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa389276(VS.85).aspx

Last edited:

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Fact checking in this thread, first page:
1. It's not a service pack, it's a complete OS rewrite. Under the hood everything is being done differently, faster and takes advantage of new technologies such as GPU processing and GCD. Windows 7 inherits the bulk of its code from Vista.
2. Macbook HDDs are designed for easy replacement.
3. OS X actually has a richer Unix heritage than Linux, due to being based mostly off NeXTSTEP ideas.
4. The 'proper programmes' you'll not find on OS X are games. In 90% of other cases there's actually a better free solution than what's offered for Windows (see adium vs msn messenger. The latter dedicates just a third of its chat window to actual chat).

"So I can play COD:4 on OSX now? I can play C&C 3? I can run .exe files? I can get a decent AntiVirus for my computer now that Mac have hundres of viruses written for them? OSX now works out what components have driver problems etc?"
Sounds like somebody needs an XBox.

EDIT: From here on in, you can't tell me Windows isn't broken unless you can explain why the COM API was ever a good idea.
COM API for WMI (Windows)
1. Didn't say it was only a service pack... said it may as well have been with the few changes it's having. The difference feels like the step from XP to SP2... which was free. True it's written from the ground up to be better, but when the changes make very little difference to the user...

2. and 3. I'm fine with. But I still think that Mac is retarded for doing so with 2.

4. You do realise that on PCs in many cases there are also much better free alternatives...

No I don't need an Xbox. My homebuilt desktop running Windows 7 has me going fine doing everything I need to do, with problems being my fault not the operating systems fault. The Mac I use for work stuff has given me more trouble than I ever thought possible. I swear the next time I have to wrestle with 'Rocketdock' for my freaking program buttons at the bottom of the screen I'm going to kill whoever is standing closest to me. Or the next time I have to wait for the thing to wake up and close the freakin program while waiting for the freaking spinning ball thingy...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1. Didn't say it was only a service pack... said it may as well have been with the few changes it's having. The difference feels like the step from XP to SP2... which was free. True it's written from the ground up to be better, but when the changes make very little difference to the user...

2. and 3. I'm fine with. But I still think that Mac is retarded for doing so with 2.

4. You do realise that on PCs in many cases there are also much better free alternatives...

No I don't need an Xbox. My homebuilt desktop running Windows 7 has me going fine doing everything I need to do, with problems being my fault not the operating systems fault. The Mac I use for work stuff has given me more trouble than I ever thought possible. I swear the next time I have to wrestle with 'Rocketdock' for my freaking program buttons at the bottom of the screen I'm going to kill whoever is standing closest to me. Or the next time I have to wait for the thing to wake up and close the freakin program while waiting for the freaking spinning ball thingy...
Again, COM API, explain it.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
You're misguided.

No, it releases Apple's responsibility from giving you any support, and/or being liable if something major occurs (data loss, etc).

The EULA is a legal contract between you (the end user) and the company producing the software. Before you can install it you must agree to the EULA, which, among other things is designed to prevent you from unlawfully distributing the program and reverse engineering it. If you do any of these actions you are subject to legal action by the company if you are discovered.

Hence the EULA is a legal document - you break it and you can be charged. In recent years however EULAs have changed and now tend to cover many more bases, such as requesting you to give permission for the program being installed to periodically connect to the internet and send information about your computer usage.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I have looked into this further it used be ok to install it on a PC in the EULA this was because it said that it could be installed on an apple labelled computer, this could also be interpreted as a apple sticker or something along those lines. Now they have changed it to an apple branded computer so it is harder to get around the EULA if you were ever busted.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
The EULA is NOT a legal document. The vast majority are untested in court and most would not be upheld. They are merely a scare tactic.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Excuse me?
EULAs almost always hold up in court, unless they contain conditions that are deemed unlawful
Try a quick wiki search (my internet's being gay and wiki won't load for me :()

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
what happens if someone under 18 violated a EULA, i could be completely wrong but don't you need to have parents consent to sign a contract if you are under 18, if a person under 18 agrees to a EULA it would not hold would it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)