So everyone keeps saying doing Ancient, Modern and Extension is too much work? (1 Viewer)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It's a heck of a lot of content to read and remember, that's why.

But if you're apt at the subjects and willing to work, go for it. To be honest, i hardly do any modern at all. Love it to death though :)

CaitlinAngel714

HSC
I do all three as well as legal so I can tell you that it requires a lot of work. Ancient and modern are two very information subjects and thus obviously like extension you have to write alot. But I find that once you have sorted out all your notes you are fine. Then its just a matter of squashing it in your brain

If you want to do it just go for it I didnt find it that bad

live.life

HSC
I did all three for half of HSC year, as well as four units of English.

I dropped Modern before the trials simply due to the amount of reading required. But I had the extra reading for a critical analysis for Ext II Eng, Modern, Ancient, Ext I English as well as the Major Work in Ext Hist and the course work.

History Ext is worth the extra work if you're not prepared to drop a 2U history, just make sure you don't mind reading and remembering SO much stuff. Ext is by far my favourite subject and it helps a lot in 2U work.

It's do-able, just tough and VERY time consuming. But fantastic :)

ericajane91

HSC
Uni Grad
I did all three this year. I've finished my Ancient and Modern exams and just have Extension left on Friday.
It's a lot of work to keep up the amount of work needed for all three, but I think if you have a passion for history it's not too bad.
I didn't get majorly stressed through the year or anything so it is an achievable workload.
I finished 1st in Ext 3rd in Modern and 4th in Ancient in my school, so I think it is possible to do well in all three if you like history enough.
It is a demanding subject though, 80% of our class had dropped it by the end of the year, but it is rewarding handing in the project at the end of the year and knowing it's all research you've done yourself.
Good luck if you do end up taking it :)

princessashe

HSC
If you look at the syllabus, there are usually over 10 dot points per topic (you do four topics thoughout year 12) for Modern and Ancient, each of which you are expected to know well and potentially write an essay on. I haven't had looked at the Ext History one yet but it does have 170 pages of Board of Studies set reading. Of course then you have to be able to do all your English essays. As they are to a degree content based courses thats a fair amount to remember, let alone be able to recall under exam conditions. That said I am doing 5 units of history and think if I survive the strain, it will be fantastic.

hingec

HSC
Don't worry about it, I did all 3 coming 3rd in Modern 2nd in Ancient and 2nd in Extension... one of my best mates came first in all 3 :)
It is a lot of work, but often you will find it links together and if you do your Major Project in the summer holidays then you are set... its the last minute rush than screws you.
I also did 4U english and Chem as well, which are all fairly demanding, and Visual Arts that was sort of a relief subject and fortunately one i'm good at :)
Extension 2 Maths is by far the hardest subject workload wise, but the thing is you get rewarded for hard work - so dont be scared off any subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)