So, exactly how hard is it? (1 Viewer)

Reversal

HSC
Hi!
I am in yr11 at the moment and I take extension 1. I'm coming second (by one mark) in a class of four but, also my school is new and not the most academic. I don't know whether or not to do extension 2 because I'm not very confident, I don't know how much teacher support I would get and most of all I have no-one to ask who has done it and can tell me exactly how hard it is.

I am looking for comments on the hardest times to do parts of the major work, how much of your time it took up, how much stress did it add and why?

If I did go ahead with it I would choose poetry and I would have 11units so if I failed it wouldn't matter. In saying that though it would matter GREATLY to me :).

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
EE2 is really, really rewarding. Tough at times, yes, but also not as tough as it's made out to be. If you reckon you could write a full (and good) suite of poetry (couple of thousand words) over the course of a year and you're an independent worker, then go for it.

The hardest bit of the MW in my opinion is around this time of year - you have your concept sorted out, the process is (hopefully) going okay and there's nothing left to do except actually WRITE the damn thing. I suffered from massive bouts of procrastination and writers block around this stage, but that's a pretty common thing. The important thing is not to get discouraged and abandon the project because you think you're not good enough.

The amount of time EE2 takes up fluctuates throughout the year. Obviously it's a lot more intensive when you have assessments due but other than that it's as much work as you want to make it. I mainly did my writing on the weekends, in class or as a way to avoid doing other, more pressing assignments. But from about June until August things get a lot more intense. You have to bear in mind that EE2 will make your trials a lot more stressful because the MW is due around that time. Stress also comes around when assessments are due (like every subject) and when you realise you really haven't written enough, but other than that it's a pretty good time.

Spend a bit of time thinking about your other subjects too. I noticed from your profile that you're also doing Society and Culture, so that's two major works you'll have to juggle. It's very, very doable but if you're taking EE2 on it's a good idea to be confident in your ability to stay on top of your other classes.

Also, is anyone else considering taking EE2? If you don't know how much teacher support you're going to get, it would be helpful to have someone else going through it with you. But failing that you'll find a lot of people on this site will be happy to help and you can look for mentors from other schools as well.

I also noticed that you go to Mackillop :). My brother's in the grade above you - he went there til last year and then he switched to Gorokan. Your school has crazy architecture :).

Reversal

HSC
To hear it isnt as impossible as so many say is good. I could write the full suite i think, I tend to write that much poetry anyway :D. The issue is with it being good or not. I have been practicing at becomeing more sophisticaed with the themes and concepts because I think the technical side is ok. I gave my latest poem to my advanced teacher who gave me positive feedback though, I'm looking for something with more constructive criticism. Is there anywhere on this site that people can help with that? Or elsewhere I should go to? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless.

From the other forums I've read it and your comment procrastination/lack of motivation at times does seem to be the hardest part. I certainly think it would be for me too...

Do you think it would be possible to have it finished before the trials?
How difficult are the other smaller tasks, like the spoken one? Viva la -something?
Yeah, I have thought about Society and Culture. I thought it might be possible to tie some of the themes together... eg. do a PIP on How colloquial language, slang and jargon affect the world today and then have my poetry with themes of changing language through the ages. Do you think that sounds ridiculous? I hate that this is all so new and different to junior highschool!
I'm planning on dropping Business Studies at the end of the year.

Well, the guy who is topping my Extension class is also topping extension maths and planning on doing two unit of that, so he has decided not to pick up both as it would mean carrying 15 units or 13 if he had to drop one of his sciences.

Other than that only one other person has said that they want to do it, so I guess that would be better than no one. I'm not even sure if Ext2 has run at my school before :/.

Oh cool :) Yeah, when I first went to Mackillop I saw the buildings and was like, o_O?

BTW, Thanks for replying! Your comments and info are really helpful!

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
When you actually start your major work you can post it for viewing by other members and get constructive feedback. There's a few poetry communities online where you can post your work as well - one of them is All Poetry. The quality of reviews will depend on who ends up reading your work but there's good feedback to be had there. Alternatively, you can ask individuals on here for their thoughts - I'd be happy to have a look at anything you wanted to send, for example.

It's very possible to have it all done by trials, yes, but you have to be very motivated and work often. Probably a more common occurrence is that most of the MW is done by then and during trials you do any final edits and write your reflection statement.

The other tasks are alright. The difficult thing about the proposal is actually working out what you want to do in the first place - once you have a concept decided it's pretty easy to explain it. The next assessment is the viva voce, where you talk about the development of your work. The difficulty will depend on the parameters your school sets - some schools are really strict and say it can only be 8 minutes long but other schools let you go for as long as you want. My viva voce went for 50 minutes last year, it was really good :). And lastly the report, which is a bit tough because at least in my case I was writing it at the same time as I was actually trying to finish my MW. But it helps that all your assessment tasks are about the one thing, so you only have to talk about the things you have developed yourself.

Having similar themes could work well, yeah. You'll develop your EE2 concept more as you get closer to the course but that's a good starting point, definitely.

My brother reckons EE2 hasn't run there before so that'll be good in a way - you'll be the first :). It helps if you like your English teacher, or at least an English teacher, so that even if the teacher you get isn't very helpful you'll have someone else to talk to.

Hope this helps!

Reversal

HSC
Sorry, I've taken ages to reply!

Ok, so I can't post practice stuff here? Ok, I will definitely check out that link. Wow, thanks! I just may take you up on that offer!

Yeah, I could see me having it mostly done by then with just the reflection to go.

So it's just a speech? or does someone ask you questions? And how on Earth did you speak for 50 minutes!!? I think that would make the assessments easier to handle.

Is it difficult to stick with a decision once made did you find? I'm worried I'll have an idea get half way and just hate it all and want to start again...

Good in that I would be like a pioneer for my school but bad in that I don't have anyone to model myself off. The teachers are good though I am highly concerned with the problem of them being inexperienced in EE2 and the ones who do have experience I'm worried will think I'm not smart enough for it. Did you ever doubt your ability?

Thanks again :)

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, you could probably try posting practice stuff here, in the Poetry forum for EE2, if you wanted to and if you have a thick skin. Be careful about the work you post though, as anything too angsty will be met with hilarity :).

The Viva Voce is like a semi-structured interview, though the exact specifications are up to the school. The way our school ran it was that we knew the general areas we had to cover, we prepared notes for those areas (eg why we chose our topic, our model/theoretical research, themes, characterisation, language choices, difficulties/problems etc) and sat down with our teacher and the Head of English and talked about all of it. They could cut in with questions or comments whenever they wanted ... basically an indepth quiz on what we were doing and why.

Basically, by the time the Viva Voce rolls around you'll have been doing EE2 for a semester. It's pretty easy to talk for 50 minutes about it by then, especially since your markers will be asking you questions as well. I think mine was the longest but the shortest in the class was still 35 minutes long. We were a chatty bunch :).

Regarding making a decision ... it differs for everyone. When I started EE2 I wanted to do poetry and I was investigating post-structuralism and all this other stuff but then after about two and a half weeks I realised that wasn't where I wanted to end up. So I switched to a short story (with integrated scripts :/) about the USSR and the Trans-Siberian Express and never wavered from my concept after that. But I was definitely one of the lucky ones because I'd picked something I was already really interested in. Out of the six other people in my class, maybe five of them spent aaaaages developing a concept and starting over etc etc. It's quite common. My advice would be to be very careful and discerning during term 4 and make sure you pick something solid and interesting. Don't write your proposal and think "oh, it's okay, I'll iron out all those inconsistencies and gaping conceptual holes later on" - try to do it before you invest all the time and effort. Obviously you won't catch everything but it's better than having to completely start from scratch :).

But if you really have to start again, it's not necessarily the end of the world. One of the reassuring stories our teacher told us last year to keep us from dying of panic was of a former student of hers who did poetry and changed his entire concept around (but not his medium) in the last week and ended up with a 48 :). I've read his MW and it was amazing, but the change in concept definitely helped the clarity of his work.

Maybe talk to the teachers who you're worried may not think you're smart enough for the course and ask them what their opinion is. Personally, I think if you're doing well in EE1, you genuinely enjoy English, you write well and are an independent learner, then you should be okay. And yes, I definitely doubted my ability in the subject (especially this time last year :/). I had a whole bunch of insecurities related specifically to the technical aspects of the work itself, but broadly speaking my big problem was that I never thought I was writing fast enough. Another really common fear, but often unfounded. Everyone works at their own pace. But when I started feeling like that I reminded myself that I'd taken the subject for the pizza parties I was promised and that even if I crashed and burned it just wouldn't count :). You'll have 11 units, yes? So you can use that to defuse any potential panic attacks.

A lack of past examples will be tough, yeah. You could have a look at the MWs that are
up on this site to get an idea of how it works, maybe? And you can always ask for advice or information here too :). Also, you can consider looking around for a mentor. If you have any connection to a journalist, editor, writer, uni student doing an English major or anyone else who works with words, that's always a good option. You can also fire off letters to any poets you come across asking if they'd consider acting as a mentor. Might not be successful, but it could be worth a try :).

Reversal

HSC
:'( My. School. Won't. Offer. It.

Thankyou so much for all of your information and help. My school has decided that it won't run EE2 because it has never run before and it would be another load for a teacher and there are no willing teachers. Anyway, I really appreciate everything you have said its definitely been way more helpful than anyone else I've talked to!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Message the Board of Studies and they will tell your school that they HAVE to let you do it if you want to.

I think that's how it works, at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)