• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

So I want to study Vet Science/Zoology.. (1 Viewer)

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
Might seem obvious but I'm thinking of the following combination for 2010:
- English
- Biology
- Chemistry
- PDHPE (Isn't mentioned for Vet Science as maths is but it may push my mark up)

OR the subjects recommended by universities for Vet Science
- English
- Maths
- Biology
- Chemistry

(I only need 4 subjects for 2010, did legal studies last year) :)
Main goal is studying Vet Science or Zoology at uni in 2011 so any thoughts? Thanks!

twistedrebel

HSC
If you think you can handle Mathematics (known as advance one) then do that, if you know you aren't a maths person and will struggle then do PDHPE. Then do a bridging course at University. Btw Do 4 subjects + maths, Then drop one during the year.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I don't know if it's changed, but I remember, back in the day, when I was looking into veterinary science, that the 'assumed knowledge' was Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
I always found it strange that they didn't need bio, but apparently physics is more applicable. So maybe take that into consideration, if it hasn't changed.

I'd also do maths. If you're looking into a science career, I do think you need it. Even though you've done legal, you could just do 10U this year to start with, so just pick up maths with the subjects you have, and if you find you hate it just drop it. But I'd give it a go first.

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the replies! I'm just worried I'll pick the wrong subjects and end up with a UAI mark thats too low but I wouldn't mind doing a bridging course either. What would happen if this year I did something like:

- English
- Biology
- General maths
- Physics
- Chemistry

Would my UAI be calculated on my overall scores? Or would my legal marks also be calculated in? I believe that'd be 12 units all up.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
zoology :cool:

Do biology and chemistry 100%. General maths is ok but 2 unit is preferable. If you go for general, the statistics part will be useful background knowledge.

Physics is not useful... I suppose the anatomy parts of PE could be. Basically 2u maths and chem are better 'brain training'.

What unis are u interested in? UAI for most science courses tends to be pretty low. USyd, UMelb, ANU, UQ have good zoology departments. CSU, LaTrobe and JCU also from the regional unis. Depends whether you want to be a vet, or a researcher, or work in 'animal science' in the agricultural sense though.

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply. Ideally if I chose to become a Vet I'd like to be a zoo/wildlife Vet however would like the options to travel also - I'll be applying wherever I can and relocate if necessary :) I don't think I'll go for Physics as I'm not sure how I'd handle 3 science subjects in a single year. I was thinking of choosing PDHPE mainly to keep my marks up, I've always been interested in fitness/nutrition and body building so think the knowledge I already know would play a key role.

So far it looks like this would be the best option:
General maths (if I can I'll go for 2U but I'm not sure, its been a while)
English
PDHPE (Simply to help my marks)
Biology (Always interested in this)
Chemistry (Help for uni entrance)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)