So is Law Enjoyable? (1 Viewer)

Lara1986

HSC
just curious, is law assessments and tests in uni just a bunch of essays?
I can't speak for other unis as I have only done law at one - but at my uni (UWS), assessments are varied:

• essays
  • written problem questions
  • law reform proposals
  • moots / court applications
  • oral presentations / leading tutorials
  • role play (mainly for mediation and similar units)
  • reports (which differ from essays)
Most subjects do have a written exam at my uni, usually a 3 hours exam with a combination of essays and problem style questions, usually 3 or 4 if they are large questions, or up to 12 if they are single topic questions.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for all the input so far! Is it true that lots of law exams are like open book tests? And also do you have to write lots of essays for assessments and exams so it'd be good if you're a eloquent writer? Also at what year can law students apply to work as a paralegal - and how do you find these places, do you do to your local firm to ask? Btw is the work experience as paralegal paid or voluntary work? Thanks very much!
There is no strict rule about when you can apply and different places want people of different years. Generally though these jobs are few and far between, they aren't always advertised (particularly for part-time/casual) and thus your best bet is to approach/call/email random firms. It can be paid or voluntary and the best way to get paid work is to start volunteering...community legal centres are often willing to take volunteer law students

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
Law is only enjoyable to the proportion of effort you put into it. You will hate it very much if you procrastinate to the last minute

Domm

HSC
Kind of new to law, now doing a JD but I've studied arts and education before.

By contrast to those two (and so I suppose as to advice to a high school student) I'd say that you will do well at law, enjoy law and avoid slitting your wrists if you are:

- good at English (grammar, written and spoken English, enjoy reading and have read widely, arguing intelligently and constructively (as opposed to obnoxiously)
- well organised (you use a diary, study planner, your desk is neat, that kind of thing)
- willing to put a lot of time into it

If those three aren't you then I think it will be very suicide inducing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)