so not fair! (1 Viewer)

minty388

HSC
Hey

So for modern history, our personality is jawaharlal nehru. on tuesday we have an assessment task worth 20% combined, hand in analysis of 3 sources, and a 'part a and b' style assessment on him

the problem is, our teacher has not spent a single lesson on nehru... it says on the assessment sheet that we have to 'develop a sufficient understanding of all aspects of his life in order to complete the in-class component of the task'

at the most, we have spent 20 minutes on nehru in class, and that was only questions about the assessment task...

is it fair that we have to teach ourselves 25% of the HSC course? everyone in my class is freaking out, I doubt we will be studying him at all, exams are coming up soon, then term 2 is onto indochina...

any thoughts?

Schoey93

HSC
Hey

So for modern history, our personality is jawaharlal nehru. on tuesday we have an assessment task worth 20% combined, hand in analysis of 3 sources, and a 'part a and b' style assessment on him

the problem is, our teacher has not spent a single lesson on nehru... it says on the assessment sheet that we have to 'develop a sufficient understanding of all aspects of his life in order to complete the in-class component of the task'

at the most, we have spent 20 minutes on nehru in class, and that was only questions about the assessment task...

is it fair that we have to teach ourselves 25% of the HSC course? everyone in my class is freaking out, I doubt we will be studying him at all, exams are coming up soon, then term 2 is onto indochina...

any thoughts?
Sounds unfair to me.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
not at all. my teacher only spent a single week on albert speer when i was doing yr 12. and that was after we did our own research.

there is just physically not enough time in the hsc course for teacher to spent the equivalent amount of time on the personality study. much of it would also come under being able to perform external research. I'm betting your teacher will give you some decent feedback and go through some more stuff in class after the assignment is complete.

good luck though, it seems tough now, but having the extra time on your other topics will be of greater value as the number of dotpoints for them is significantly larger than those for the personality study.

Stormey

HSC
not at all. my teacher only spent a single week on albert speer when i was doing yr 12. and that was after we did our own research.

there is just physically not enough time in the hsc course for teacher to spent the equivalent amount of time on the personality study. much of it would also come under being able to perform external research. I'm betting your teacher will give you some decent feedback and go through some more stuff in class after the assignment is complete.

good luck though, it seems tough now, but having the extra time on your other topics will be of greater value as the number of dotpoints for them is significantly larger than those for the personality study.
You had 1 week. OP has 20 mins.

K

Kozak92

Best thing you can do is bring it up with your teacher. It won't matter so much if everyone gets a lower than usual mark though.

twistedrebel

HSC
do your research and harden the fuck up, what are you 8, you need people to guide you through a course. Just go read wikipedia and you ll get most of the things you need, Its not maths/phyiscs which you need to be taught (and you can self teach maths/phyiscs aswell, not that hard).

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
You had 1 week. OP has 20 mins.
your point being? that was equivalent to about 2 hours. sure it's a substantial difference, but it was treated as a culmination of our knowledge (seeing as we'd already researched things ourselves), rather than actual 'teaching'

perhaps the teacher in question intends to do more once the assessment is complete.

xzkevinzx

HSC
sounds pretty ok to me. For assessments arent you supposed to do the research yourself or something? I had to do that for bio, chem and phy. The assessments were based on future dot points and we were not up to them in class..

K

Kozak92

do your research and harden the fuck up, what are you 8, you need people to guide you through a course. Just go read wikipedia and you ll get most of the things you need, Its not maths/phyiscs which you need to be taught (and you can self teach maths/phyiscs aswell, not that hard).
Don't be a bitch, teachers are meant to teach the syllabus and his teacher clearly hasn't.

twistedrebel

HSC
Don't be a bitch, teachers are meant to teach the syllabus and his teacher clearly hasn't.
AS pointed above, you get assignments based on future dot points, happens to alot of people. In a year he'll be starting uni, and there no one gives a fuck about you.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Well someone just had a nice little hissy fit.
Do you even do history? Like EVERY OTHER SUBJECT, history requires at least some teacher guidance. Just going and reading "wikipedia" isn't going to get you far in the course. Sure in uni they don't spoonfeed you, but they also don't tell you to go off and learn 1/4 of the course by yourself.

But that being said; it's tough that you haven't done much on nehru in class, but luckily the personality study is meant to be the easiest part (or so everyone tells me) - if you read through the appropriate textbooks and look up the historians they mention, you should be fine. There's not much a teacher can do for the personality study than give you handouts and you should hopefully be able to get your hands on the same information. Goodluck!

Oh and might I remind you all that OP is female (seeing as everyone is referring to a "he").

K

Kozak92

AS pointed above, you get assignments based on future dot points, happens to alot of people. In a year he'll be starting uni, and there no one gives a fuck about you.
Highschool is different to Uni. We are encouraged to get as much help as we can during the HSC.

minty388

HSC
thanks for your advice everyone... ill let you know how it goes

and for the record, this isnt an assessment on 'future dot points' it is on stuff that we have not learnt, and i am 99% will not be taught

thanks everyone :)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
This is common with the personality study, we're doing it with Speer. The only introduction we had was about 5 dot points plus some terrible video that had evil music every time they mentioned something Speer did.

You should also find somewhere about students successfully being able to research stuff or something. There is a point in the syllabus about it. So stop bitching.

Milo496

HSC
The teachers are supposed to teach u at least a bit of the assessment tasks, at least they should be able to reference u to some sites or resources that can help u with the subject.....

minty388

HSC
@ acorn, we didn't even get that.

had the assessment today. questions were decent thank goodness. i think i did pretty well given the circumstances :) i dont think i have ever crammed so much in my school life lol

thanks to everyone for your advice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)