so they reckon geography is a waste of time? (1 Viewer)

RubiX

HSC
Geo is borin as! Theres nothin to it other than summarising out of the text book..it seems sort of irrelevant... too much info! Is it even worth it?

im pretty over geo ay..

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
it all comes back to your teacher actually - there are two types of teachers in every subject area - TEXTBOOK TEACHERS and ENTHUSIASTIC TEACHERS, the latter of which have the knowledge in their head. I'm fortunate enough to have a prominent local cultural geographer/local historian as my geography teacher - he is the most enthusiastic bugger you'd ever see in ur life!!! lol he has a gianourmous slide collection that he loves to bring in and show us all the time - he is opposed to switching to digital cameras hehe
In my other subjects, especially Legal Studies and Ancient History I have the WORST TEACHERS EVER - they are textbook junkies!!! If not using a textbook, they are trying NOT to be like textbook ppl and get info off the top of their head, which NEVER WORKS coz they hav never learnt anything!
there r 2 ancient teachers at our skool, one who has won awards for exellence in teaching etc and is basically a walking library on the subject, and another one who will have books that she just dictates out of and expects us to write it all down... guess who i hav :mad1:

uberschveinen

HSC
dod you actually do anything else with the subject? Like discuss it in class or explore it further on your own?

If not, no wonder you're bored. You're not actually doing geography, you're taking writing from one book and putting it in another. Geography is very interesting when you get into it.

RubiX

HSC
Yeh we discuss in class and you have to do ur own research if you want to go good. But still... Geography is pretty boring. I dont hate it I just dont find the topics riveting or anything. I'm not really a patient person either so if we start discussing geo in class and its irrelevant to our exams i will tune out.. and go back to the text book.. but since i last posted it has gotten better. I spose in a sense now that i have finished with the info in the text book it is more interesting. Lol pretty over the whole HSC.. regardless of subjects

felixcthecat

HSC
RubiX said:
Yeh we discuss in class and you have to do ur own research if you want to go good. But still... Geography is pretty boring. I dont hate it I just dont find the topics riveting or anything. I'm not really a patient person either so if we start discussing geo in class and its irrelevant to our exams i will tune out.. and go back to the text book.. but since i last posted it has gotten better. I spose in a sense now that i have finished with the info in the text book it is more interesting. Lol pretty over the whole HSC.. regardless of subjects
^^ atleast u tune out of the irrelevant information and actually study~ if a random convo starts, haha.. i think i'd rather listen attentively .. cuz there realli isn't that much to do in geo

crazysteph

HSC
felixcthecat said:
wahhhhh... that scares me~~ i think my school has consistent ~3-4 classes each year... anyways, yayy another geographer on BOS ^0^
do you mean 3 - 4 GEOGRAPHY classes? how could there be so many?!

tzncz

not quite here
HSC
So they reckon Geography is a waste of time, eh?

Well...

Unlike Maths, which teaches you that sin^2 x + cos ^2 x = 1 and the sum of the roots for a quadratic is equal to -b/a, the stuff you learn in Geography, such as global warming and political tension and conflict, is useful and relevant to everyone.

Unlike History, where they teach you about stuff that happened in the past (which is all good), Geography teaches you stuff about the present, the 'now' (which is better, isn't it?).

Unlike Visual Arts, which encourages you to 'borrow' from other artists and forces you to write essays about airy-fairy stuff like how the artist was influenced by the artworld, or how the subjective frame can be used to interpret this artwork, Geography deals with solid issues that need to be discussed.

Those who reckon Geography is a waste of time are wrong. It ain't.

Last edited:

rockets

HSC
N/A
Hey Highwayman ---- Are the questions they ask for the hsc predictable ie like from the 'students learn to' bit

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
looking at past exams, i would say yes they take many of the questions from syllabus dot points :)

think science but with more freedom .. and colourful maps :p

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
rockets said:
Hey Highwayman ---- Are the questions they ask for the hsc predictable ie like from the 'students learn to' bit
yes and no. Yes in that what you will be asked will be directly related to the syllabus, but no in that they aren't predictable as syllabus dot-points are often combined to form single questions.

Remember, you may also be asked to use examples from the stimulus booklet in your essay so i would (and did) practice questions like these in advance. It has happened before so don't be surprised if it happens again. In fact, try to integrate stimulus material (if you can) into your essays in any case. it shows the marker some original thought had actually been put into the work rather than purely the replication of teacher-supplied notes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)