So...what happens now? (1 Viewer)

zhongie

HSC
Okay, we've got our UAIs...and I know offers come out in the paper January 9th. So how do we go about turning that offer into going to university, doing a course...?

andyk

HSC
N/A
Relax. Take each step at a time because anticipating further than the speed that Administration can work just equates to lots of impatient waiting every day. But since you asked, here's the general schedule of things:

UAC will notify you of your offer(s)/non-offer. Main round offers are released on Wednesday January 19th 2005, and the next day in the papers. It's the notification from UAC that's important; the newspaper is for show purposes.
You will reply with your acceptance/declination of the offer(s) - UAC will tell you how.
If you accept, the relevant uni will send you the procedure for enrolment and other related details. This will include formal enrolment as a student, program/subject selection, and fees, etc.

After all that is done there will most likely be orientation days and programs. If your uni has a 'Getting adjusted to uni/study' program or similar, I highly recommend you participate. You'll get the chance to meet (or at least spend some time) with people who will also be beginning their studies, even doing your course/subjects. Most importantly, I believe, is the support with anxieties with beginning tertiary study; as well as getting to know the ins and outs of the uni and its structure. Otherwise if you're doing a bridging class it might be enough as orientation, although it's focus is obviously to teach a subject.

And then your first class begins. Usually a lecture, where you are spoken *at*; Sometimes a grouped lecture (ie: different but related courses being taught common/introductory things together); Sometimes a tutorial, your classroom setting, where you are spoken *with*; and Sometimes depending on your course, laboratory or workshop, which is practical to the subject.

Then it's study for the rest of semester until you do re-enrolment again - which is too far to think about (see initial argument above). Simply, re-enrolment is informing your uni you'll continue your studies for another semester, and another semester...until you graduate.

And, unless you are transferring from your course to another one (or some other rare circumstance), your UAI will be irrelevant for the rest of your life! (But gee yours looks pretty enviable.)

-andy

Last edited:

zhongie

HSC
Thanks! That was really helpful... good-o. UAC, then.

ben_au69

HSC
if the offers and cut offs come on the same day, how do u know whether to change preferences now? cos i got heaps close to the 2004 cut offs

but im scared theyll all go heaps higher and ill have no offers..

Lainee

HSC
natstar said:
Seriously...people should not jump the gun...
Wait till u get ur offer. The uni sends u an info booklet normally (im assuming all unis do this) it tells you how to accept ur offer, when enrolment day is etc etc etc.
It's just fun thinking ahead! I'm already thinking of what stationery to get. :p It's all new and exciting for most of us to think about 'what lies ahead'!

smallcattle

HSC
ben_au69 said:
if the offers and cut offs come on the same day, how do u know whether to change preferences now? cos i got heaps close to the 2004 cut offs

but im scared theyll all go heaps higher and ill have no offers..
I can so understand ur feelin... most of the courses i want to do are within 2 marks from my UAI shown on the 2004 cutoffs... i am so nervous that i might not get any offers..

Lainee

HSC
natstar said:
..i remember i covered all my books with pretty pics and contacted them, and got pretty pens..and got to uni and was like..no one else has this..but yeah its fun
:eek: So does that mean I shouldn't cover my books with pretty pics? Don't want to seem all high-schooley in uni. ;)

Lainee

HSC
Heheh Pink Post-Its and colourful folders kept me sane for HSC. Metallic pens don't seem to like me though, I end up getting glittery stuff all over my hands and face. :p

A bit off topic, but still kinda relating to the idea of thinking ahead: is info day good for its purpose (helping you get a feel for the course)? Or is it the same as Open Days (boring, free stuff, boring, boring, boring)? And is it really indicative of the uni environment since there'll be no students there?

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
same situation here, the uni + course i really really really wanna do is about 2.4marks lower than my UAI~~i hope they won't jump by that much this yr..... coz it's really really not fair!!! BTW...did the newspaper say 16% of the 66000 students achieved 90+ UAI or was it only 8.6%???

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Sweet_Lemon said:
same situation here, the uni + course i really really really wanna do is about 2.4marks lower than my UAI~~i hope they won't jump by that much this yr..... coz it's really really not fair!!! BTW...did the newspaper say 16% of the 66000 students achieved 90+ UAI or was it only 8.6%???
i don't remember entirely, but i think it would be about 8.6
I thought the top 10% of the state would be equivalent to about 93 UAI. hmm

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
Bob.J said:
i don't remember entirely, but i think it would be about 8.6
I thought the top 10% of the state would be equivalent to about 93 UAI. hmm
yeh...on sat...i got the newspaper said tat 8.6% out of 66000 (approx) got UAI of 90+..... but today..the paper says 16%.....so i'm bit lost now.....is tat why the edu department said this yr's HSC students did better since 2000~~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)