So Who's Starting an Accounting Cadetship? (1 Viewer)

Smeed

HSC
Hey I was just wondering who here is planning on starting an accounting cadetship this year and with which firm and at which (expected) university.

Personally I will probably be doing a cadetship with KPMG while studying at UNSW.

I was also wondering if people have exact dates on when they're starting and what their expectations are of their cadetship.

I'm a bit worried about the work/study/social life balance in doing a cadetship, as I want to do well in university, and hopefully do an honours year as well. Does anyone else share my concerns?

Last edited:

case88

HSC
i think most people planning on doing a cadetship would share your concerns. i'm also planning on going to UNSW while working at Ernst & Young. i'm thinking about doing a double degree, and yes, i'm concerned that it might be taxing, but i've gotta give it a shot...
and all the cadets i've talked to have only listed positive experiences, saying that it was a good [if not a great] idea to do a cadetship, so let's hope for the best! :)

konstantine'

HSC
I'm starting on the 5th Feb and will also be studying at UNSW. I did work experience with my firm last year for a week and man it blew all my expectations out of the water. I learnt heaps within just one week and had heaps of fun :D. I'm sure you'll cope fine; a lot of people have and yeah think of it as a good challenge *thumbs up*.

Smeed

HSC
Hey case88 by double degree I'm assuming you're referring to a Comm/Law combination since I know EY has their own legal division? I was interested to know how exactly would it work out though, seeing as the double degree itself would take 5 years ie. how many part-time and full-time years of uni would you be doing?

And konstantine', which firm will you be working at, and how did you manage to score work experience there and fit it in with the HSC? It certainly seems you enjoyed your time there which bodes well for your cadetship.

case88

HSC
yeah, i was talking about comm/law, and yes, EY do have their own legal. :)
the double degree that usually takes 5 years would take me 6 years to finish. i'll do the first two years of uni part time (essentially just splitting the first year into two) and then do the rest four years full time... so yeah, 6 years of uni instead of 5. not sure if it's really worth it, but i'm gonna give it a shot anyway cos i wanna see what kind of work people with a degree like mine can do.

by the way, which firm are you planning to work at?

rox88

HSC
About this cadetship, wat kind of uai do u need to give urself a pretty good chance of being offered a place at a big firm like KPMG?

also, is it too late to apply for one and how much $$$ do u get annually?

konstantine'

HSC
Smeed said:
And konstantine', which firm will you be working at, and how did you manage to score work experience there and fit it in with the HSC? It certainly seems you enjoyed your time there which bodes well for your cadetship.
I'll be at Hall Chadwick! Well with the work experience, it was in early December so well after my HSC (thank goodness too) and it was offered to all the cadets that received a position with the firm.

rox88 said:
About this cadetship, wat kind of uai do u need to give urself a pretty good chance of being offered a place at a big firm like KPMG?

I can't speak for KPMG but generally as long as you can get into a Commerce/Business degree with a major in Accounting; so UAI of 85 + ??. I think during the interview process, however, it'd be more advantageous for you to have a high estimated UAI. But academic achievement isn't everything; they look for other qualities too.

It's too late to apply for cadetships starting in 2007 but if you're interested you can apply for 2008; they start accepting around June/July period? Some firms accept applications up to August/September.

The salary depends on the firm and division but I'd say around $22,000 - $30,000. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

[ 100th post lol]

Smeed

HSC
case88 said:
yeah, i was talking about comm/law, and yes, EY do have their own legal. :)
the double degree that usually takes 5 years would take me 6 years to finish. i'll do the first two years of uni part time (essentially just splitting the first year into two) and then do the rest four years full time... so yeah, 6 years of uni instead of 5. not sure if it's really worth it, but i'm gonna give it a shot anyway cos i wanna see what kind of work people with a degree like mine can do.

by the way, which firm are you planning to work at?
Hmm that's interesting yeah 6 years is a long time but with EY encouraging double degrees (or so I've heard) it could well be worth it. BTW, by legal division, does this mean that EY conducts legal work for its clients, or does this refer to an in-house legal counsel which deals with EY's legal issues? And to answer your question, I'm planning on working at KPMG, so we'll see how that goes heh.

rox88 said:

konstantine' has pretty much said everything but can I just add that in regards to KPMG specifically you need to get into a commerce/business degree at either UNSW, UTS, or Macquarie Uni, however I remember in the BDO contract they state they're happy for you to get into a commerce/business degree at any uni with CA certification, which I think is pretty much every uni, so most of the other mid-tier and smaller firms would probably have similar conditions.

Also, as konstantine' stated, extra-curricular activities such as sports, debating etc. are just as important as academic performance because you get asked a whole lot of questions about them during the interview process. Hope that helps.

konstantine' said:
[ 100th post lol]
Good work now I just need 94 more posts to match your achievement lol.

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC
Smeed said:
Hmm that's interesting yeah 6 years is a long time but with EY encouraging double degrees (or so I've heard) it could well be worth it. BTW, by legal division, does this mean that EY conducts legal work for its clients, or does this refer to an in-house legal counsel which deals with EY's legal issues? And to answer your question, I'm planning on working at KPMG, so we'll see how that goes heh.

konstantine' has pretty much said everything but can I just add that in regards to KPMG specifically you need to get into a commerce/business degree at either UNSW, UTS, or Macquarie Uni, however I remember in the BDO contract they state they're happy for you to get into a commerce/business degree at any uni with CA certification, which I think is pretty much every uni, so most of the other mid-tier and smaller firms would probably have similar conditions.

Also, as konstantine' stated, extra-curricular activities such as sports, debating etc. are just as important as academic performance because you get asked a whole lot of questions about them during the interview process. Hope that helps.

Good work now I just need 94 more posts to match your achievement lol.

My friend has gotten a BDO cadetship, its quite prestigous with only 4/300 chosen. If you're one of them consider yourself special.

case88

HSC
Smeed said:
lol, i really couldnt answer that. i pretty much know nothing myself at the moment. i only knew that they have legal because the lady who interviewed me started talking about how i should get into the legal side of things since i'm considering doing law... and also because the department i'm working in is called Tax and Law.

Smeed

HSC
Monstar said:
My friend has gotten a BDO cadetship, its quite prestigous with only 4/300 chosen. If you're one of them consider yourself special.
Thanks for that. Yeah I was offered a cadetship at BDO but ultimately I ended up taking the KPMG one because I felt that as they were larger, I would have more opportunities to travel overseas etc. but I quite liked BDO and would definitely not have minded doing a cadeship there.

proo

HSC
i'm going to be starting my cadetship at KPMG and going UNSW too!!:)
i sort of can't wait.. haha
does anyone know when we actually start work? is it right after we come back from the NGI?

and when does everybody else start? all i know is that people at EY start on feb the 12th?

pmtruong

HSC
hi all im starting with deloitte and also goin unsw starting 27 feb. i thought id share the timetable that wood allow us to go there once a week. It currently includes qma but we can drop that after we get the concessioon card which will aloow us to have one massive 2-8 tuesday. Most firms allow half a day off...im lett of at 1 oclock for this. So enrol asap be4 spots run out..cya nex yr!
Hi proo enjoyin ur holiday...ill be in asia in 3 days! How dodgy is unsw being with their commerce cutooff...marked up by heaps!

Tuesday
2-4 Acc 1A lecture
Lecture S1 2184 C Open 45/350 Tue 14:00 - 16:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

4-5 Acc tutorial
Tutorial S1 2210 T16C Open 1/25 Tue 16:00 - 17:00 (Wks:2-6,7-14)

5-6 Micro tutorial
Tutorial S1 3278 578 Open 7/21 Tue 17:00 - 18:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

6-8 Micro lecture
Lecture S1 3199 E Open 21/180 Tue 18:00 - 20:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

Thursday
5-6 Quant A tutorial
Tutorial S1 3328 526 Open 2/25 Thu 17:00 - 18:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

6-8 QMA lecture
Lecture S1 3300 C Open 23/200 Thu 18:00 - 20:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

If u think this may be too hectic...remember that most lec and tut are availbale on podcast anyways so u cood use the day u save to listen to those insted. Any questions jus message me...before 8pm saturday tho.

dils1989

dilssssssssssss
HSC
hey all,

im also starting with deloitte on a cadetship this yr and wen i was goin thru all the uni enrolling stuff with unsw i came across a problem:S it was my understanding that we were supposed to graduate after 4 yrs but with the sandwich structure they ahv going on u can onli finish 132 UOC by that time? as in this is how uni wood go:

1st Year: FT work/PT uni
Sem 1 - 12UOC
Sem 2 - 12UOC

2nd Year:
Sem 1 (FT Uni) - 24 UOC
Sem 2 (FT work) - 12 UOC

3rd Year:
Sem 1 (FT Uni) - 24 UOC
Sem 2 (FT work) - 12 UOC

4th Year:
Sem 1 (FT Uni) - 24 UOC
Sem 2 (FT work) - 12 UOC

so totally thatd be 132 meaning i wood hav to go at least one more semester into a 5th yr... especially to pmtruong... is this rite?? im gna call them up to ask abt this coz i was under the impression that after 4 yrs we shooda finished. also if this is rite im gna ask if theres any chance i can do one of the full time work semesters as full time uni so i can knock off the degree in 4 yrs

konstantine'

HSC
I won't be with Deloitte but I'm doing a sandwich program too, though slightly different from yours. Mine goes

1st Year: FT work/PT uni
Sem 1 - 12UOC
Sem 2 - 12UOC

2nd Year:
Sem 1 (FT Uni) - 24 UOC
Sem 2 (FT work) - 12 UOC

3rd Year:
Sem 1 (FT Uni) - 24 UOC
Sem 2 (FT work) - 12 UOC

4th Year:
Sem 1 - 12 UOC
Sem 2 - 12 UOC

I end up with 120 UOC by year 4 which leaves me 24 UOC left. I guess you could always do summer courses can't you? That's what I'm planning to do if I can't convince my manager to give me more full time study periods. I only end up doing 1 year full time study compared to those doing the 2 by 2 program. Shacks!

dils1989

dilssssssssssss
HSC
yeh i was talkin to a mate who does comm at unsw and he said that if worst comes to worst juss do gen eds in summer n get them outta the way... its not too big a deal i guess it was juss a bit confusing

oz_rocker

Todd Heslin
HSC
Hey all im starting my traineeship at EY on 5th feb and studying at UNSW. Any/all trainee/cadets from EY or UNSW contact me at oz_rocker@hotmail.com

Im movin up to sydney in two weeks and wont know anyone!!!

Peace xx

case88

HSC
oz_rocker said:
Hey all im starting my traineeship at EY on 5th feb and studying at UNSW.
hm, i start mine on the 12th. i woulda thought everyone would start on the same day. oh well, see ya soon, anyway.
d'u know what division you'll be in?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)