So you think DFEE actually helps fund CFE places? Your kidding yourselves (1 Viewer)

loser101

HSC
Some argue that DFEE helps support the university which is true and therefore more CFE places and better facilities in the longrun.

This is great in theory, but in reality it doesnt work.

I've notice that since the DFEE structure has come into place, the CFE cut-off generally has been rising.

Basically the growth of CFE places has been put on hold, the extra places that do come available have been directed towards DFEE places.

Simply more demand by an ever growing population, with constant supply of CFE places means rising UAI scores to get into the CFE courses.

Its a bit like the 4c fuel dockets, yeah they work great for the first year, then eventually the 4c "discount" is absobed into the initial price and increase in grocery prices anyway. Notice how the price of fuel at Shell and Wollies is 2cents higher anyway. So pay an extra 2c/L, save 4c/L, add 2c/$ shopping its all the same.

Wake up guys.:hammer:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
politik said:
Dude, shut the fuck up.

You know nothing about how universities operate and are funded.

I'd spend some time debunking your erroneous theory, but I have a meeting of intelligentsia to attend.

edit: hai guyz i've never used the correct words for the topic of my posts because i know what i'm on about. lol dfe and cfe

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
your argument doesnt make sence.

You are saying that DFEE *doesnt* help fund CFE. Then you state that there are (now) more places given to DFEE. If the uni doesnt make a large gain from DFEE students (more that a CFE) then why would they allow it?
Re-read your argument.

Evilo

HSC
zomg everyone is editing their posts! This is the 2nd time i've refreshed the page in 2 min, and a post has been deleted/edited.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
This is great in theory, but in reality it doesnt work.
The only way I can see that it could not translate into reality would be if the extra funds from fee payers are not directed towards funding more spots for non-fee payers.

loser101

HSC
end of day CFE places only cover the bare minimum, so as a business it only makes sence to push people from CFE to DFEE. which is what has been happening since it came into effect

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
i really dont give a fuck

i have a csp place

why should i care if someone has a DFEE place? you have tall poppy syndrome

Evilo

HSC
jb_nc said:
i really dont give a fuck

i have a csp place

why should i care if someone has a DFEE place? you have tall poppy syndrome
would you care if you didn't have a CSP place cos some rich father bought it for his son? :p

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Evilo said:
would you care if you didn't have a CSP place cos some rich father bought it for his son? :p
The ONLY way that could happen would be if the government/university was choosing not to use the extra funds they recieve from fee paying students to create more commonwealth supported places... if that is so, then that's what you should rally against, not DFEE places.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Evilo said:
Not possible. DFEE spots are only allocated once CSP places are full, and can only total 35% of CSP spots.

So essentially nobody misses out.

Evilo

HSC
I think it might need further explanation.

Hypothetical - They choose the UAI for a course based on demand. They then let in everyone with that uai (or above) into the course. Then they let in DFEE places? that doesnt make sense? why not lower the UAI and let in more CSP students? And what about overseas students? Do they just fall in the same group as the Aus DFEE students?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
If not all places in CSP fill, they cannot offer DFEE places. Hence the cutoff is lowered or (rarely) people below the cutoff are allowed into to fill spots (the highest academics without exceeding the cutoff one would presume), so that DFEE opens. Or they could lower the CSP quota and ask everyone else to whip out their chequebooks.

And as for international students, no. They have to pay $25K/year without any government assistance.

All in All I say it's a fairly decent system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)