So you'll be scaled down in your class isn't doing as well as you? (1 Viewer)

ShadowLighte

HSC
I'm not completely sure about how this thing works with the scaling of classes and whatnot. Most of the things I've learnt from here rather than my school because they don't tell you anything Eg. how your school rank determines how many bands are given to the school so if you're at a school that does extremely well overall, you're going to be given more B6s- I hope that's right. And that's not really fair either.

Anyway, so from my understanding, if you're top of your class and the majority of the class isn't doing so well, you'll be scaled down to meet them? And if the majority of your class does well but you're close to the bottom, you'll be scaled up? I mean, at least a little bit? Or is it determined by the entire cohort and not just class because otherwise that aint far.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It is determined by the entire cohort, but if you are at the top of your cohort, you won't be scaled down. Scaling between classes might be for internal assessments depending on your school policies, but I don't think it is likely, ask your teacher if you are unsure. Don't get too worried about rankings, just focus on doing your very best:)

ShadowLighte

HSC
It is determined by the entire cohort, but if you are at the top of your cohort, you won't be scaled down. Scaling between classes might be for internal assessments depending on your school policies, but I don't think it is likely, ask your teacher if you are unsure. Don't get too worried about rankings, just focus on doing your very best:)
Mm, okay.

It doesn't matter what your school rank is - as long you commit yourself and put in the effort, getting a decent ATAR shouldn't be difficult. In saying that, yes, you want to have your cohort to do well but you still want to attain a top rank to get the mark you deserve.
It does matter though, doesn't it? Even if it is a little. And yes, I do agree and understand that school ranks aren't as important as getting the best atar mark possible. I mean, if you're at the top of your cohort then there's nothing to worry about but if your school is only awarded 3 B6s for example and you just happened to be the 4th then you miss out.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Mm, okay.

It does matter though, doesn't it? Even if it is a little. And yes, I do agree and understand that school ranks aren't as important as getting the best atar mark possible. I mean, if you're at the top of your cohort then there's nothing to worry about but if your school is only awarded 3 B6s for example and you just happened to be the 4th then you miss out.
But it is not up to the school to assign the number of people who get band 6s at all, they have no control over this.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Only part of your HSC mark is determined by your internals. What basically happens is that your internal school ranks affect half your overall HSC mark. If your cohort is poor, you won't necessarily be "scaled down" per say, but, you'll be given an internal HSC mark based on:
- your rank
- the relative gaps in between you and the person above/below you

To calculate how to allocate the marks, the exams your school sit are added up altogether and allocated accordingly, so the person coming first will get the highest internal mark, person coming second gets second highest internal mark and so forth.

So if the gaps between you and the person ahead or behind you is relatively large or spread out, the mark difference will be quite significant.

Then you have your external mark, which is how you actually go in your HSC exam and that's averaged with your internal mark to give your final HSC mark.

The person coming first is unaffected by internal ranks, as they will receive the top mark. You won't be "scaled" down to meet them.

Also, whatever you hear about school rank determining the % of B6 is false. The school ranks are unofficial guides published on SMH that details the "top" schools that have at least one B6 from their year 12 cohorts. The ranking depends on the cohort of that particular year, not their school rank. The reason why schools that do extremely well are high ranked is because their students are often higher achievers and can usually get those B6's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)