SOAPS DETERGENTS (1 Viewer)

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
I swear there is something wrong with me. This is the only thing in chem I do not understand. I have looked at 2 textbooks, a few youtube videos, a million articles, talked about it with my teacher, done practice questions, done practice questions with my teacher.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN SOAPS AND DETERGENTS PLSS FML

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
basically soaps have a polar head and a non polar tail
and this gives them certain properties

now in terms of differences between soaps and detergents (because apart from what is below they work exactly the same as discussed in the linked post)

detergents have a different head, and there are three types
1) anionic detergents
2) cationic detergents
3) non-charged detergents

this different head gives them the ability to work in hard water (which is when water has high heavy metal concentration) because the different head does not react with the positively charged metals
e.g. cationic and neutral detergents can clean grease off of water with high Ca or Mg conc

on the other hand when soaps are used in hard water, it forms 'scum'

note anionic doesnt form scum but it isnt the best for cleaning because the negatively charged head reacts with positively charged metals in hard water

Last edited:

SB257426

Very Important User
HSC
basically soaps have a polar head and a non polar tail
and this gives them certain properties

now in terms of differences between soaps and detergents (because apart from what is below they work exactly the same as discussed in the linked post)

detergents have a different head, and there are three types
1) anionic detergents
2) cationic detergents
3) non-charged detergents

this different head gives them the ability to work in hard water (which is when water has high heavy metal concentration) because the different head does not react with the positively charged metals
e.g. cationic and neutral detergents can clean grease off of water with high Ca or Mg conc

on the other hand when soaps are used in hard water, it forms 'scum'

note anionic doesnt form scum but it isnt the best for cleaning because the negatively charged head reacts with positively charged metals in hard water
Because the negatively charged head reacts with the metal cations in hardwater is that why they add phosphates so the Ca and Mg ions bind with phosphates and not with the detergent molecules?

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Because the negatively charged head reacts with the metal cations in hardwater is that why they add phosphates so the Ca and Mg ions bind with phosphates and not with the detergent molecules?
maybe? not too sure lol sorry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)