Social implications of the colour black (1 Viewer)

ilikebeeef

HSC
I know that there are minorities within society that have have claimed the colour black (goth, emo), but what are your views about wearing black?
Depends on the appearance really.

Why is it that every time I wear black I'm cast as goth?
Do you wear all black?

Can people who don't fit the stereotypes wear all black?
Yeah. Why can't they? Lol.

adriano_negr0

HSC
have u seen the IT crowd episodes with the guy who becomes a goth and gets excluded

I rest my case

HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh I wouldn't even think of someone was goth/emo if they wearing black no matter how many skeletons or skulls were on their clothes as well.

For me it is evident by the hair, black eye stuff and the leather bracelets and shit

Also the facial expression of despair, apathy, and stuff.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Lol, all I wear pretty much is black. I always have various rings and coloured rubber bracelets on, I love the novelty shirts with the writing on them, trenchcoats are kewl. And I love obscure hats. Apparently this makes me look goth?

To everyone who keeps telling me to not worry about other peoples comments, I've already stated that I don't mind what they say, and I'm just researching what peoples opinions are.

Shoot4stars

HSC
I am physically attracted to black clothes. If it's on the rack, and it's black, I'll mostly only look at that (way to rhymeee!). I like black because it's classy. Nice black dresses, nice black tops and blouses etc I like blue too. Hmm. Black tops the list though. I like dark clothing in general; so much more sophisticated.

The colour of your clothes is a reflection of your sophistication level? highly debatable

Also people view you as goth and what not because dressing all black yes it is the stereotype as being goth , dark , evil etc. this is often reflected through gothic music and themes such as worshiping devil etc.

HSC
black underwear implies that ur after sex
Man, I thought I was wearing them to hide skid marks... but whatevs :eek:

I wear black all the time and people started questioning me a lot but I just like it over any other colours. I think it's cos I wear all black as well and my hair is jet black.

I guess some people feel uncomfortable about not being able to neatly catagorise someone into a box.

Last edited:
HSC
The colour of your clothes is a reflection of your sophistication level? highly debatable

Also people view you as goth and what not because dressing all black yes it is the stereotype as being goth , dark , evil etc. this is often reflected through gothic music and themes such as worshiping devil etc.
The colour adds sophistication.
What's classier, a black Audrey Hepburn style dress, or red?
Yes, I thought so lol.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i love wearing black, but i often team it with very bright stockings or a bright cardigan. ive never though of its social implications tbh

bio_nut

HSC
I wear a lot of black. Not so much lately as it's too hot in summer out west (and am also trying to branch out colourwise, lol), but in winter, yes.

I couldn't give a fuck whether someone thinks I look like a goth. I don't find it insulting, so why would I care? Sometimes I do it on purpose as it's amusing to see how people react, eg. I go out in a long lacy black skirt with my black parasol and such.

I don't identify with one particular subculture anyway, so I don't really care.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
I wear a lot of black. Not so much lately as it's too hot in summer out west (and am also trying to branch out colourwise, lol), but in winter, yes.

I couldn't give a fuck whether someone thinks I look like a goth. I don't find it insulting, so why would I care? Sometimes I do it on purpose as it's amusing to see how people react, eg. I go out in a long lacy black skirt with my black parasol and such.

I don't identify with one particular subculture anyway, so I don't really care.
i wore black to my cousin's wedding because my aunty told me not to haha

Holly M

HSC
Black is my staple clothes colour. Jeans, singlets, bras, undies, skivvies, etc a majority in all categories are black. I just like the colour, i'm not really into many bright colours and it looks nice. I'm not a goth or emo or whatever you want to say, i just like black. I don't often encounter a problem with people accusing or stereotyping you if you wear black, maybe a few minor cases, but not many. Still i don't mind if people think of me as a goth/emo that's their problem,nothing to do with me, i'm just me.

And supposedly it's slimming, not that i consciously think about that when i wear it, but you know... a plus.

Black is a good colour/shade.

lonely-lass

HSC
N/A
Black is an unique color, nothing could be matched to its beauty. It enhances the beauty out of the person. The most dresses in my wardrobe are all color black.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I don't wear much black (too pale) but I have worn all-black outfits to work on a few occasions and nobody thought anything weird of it. A couple of people commented on it but that's just because all black is striking and not something I would normally wear if it wasn't laundry day

Bananaberry

HSC
I wear a lot of black. I'm no emo/goth etc. It's just that when I see a peice of clothing I like it only seem to come in black.
There is a big difference between someone who wears a lot of black and someone who wears a lot of black and is an emo/goth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)