Social Sciences or Applied Sciences? (1 Viewer)

bassistx

HSC
I'm curious to know which you think is more, not necessarily important, but relevant to society today. They are more relevant in their own fields, of course. But which do you think is more relevant overall? As in, what makes the world spin 'round? Our survivial and advancement etc. is due to both, of course. But which has played a greater role? Which played a greater role 100 years ago and which plays a greater role today? Does this in any way influence your subject choices (whether for the HSC or in the future for uni) or career choices?

So again, to clarify, this is not about importance, but relevance.
I'm leaning more to Humanities but I can definitely see the importance of technological sciences. I just feel that communication is why we all "get along".

Please don't spam etc. I'd like to write a paper on this with some serious opinion, reasoning, etc.

ice ken

HSC
well i believe in applied sciences and not the social side. i have an interest in physics and chemistry side of things when i do things, hence i choose applied. i believe with a good knowledge of applied sciences you can have many career pathways.

bassistx

HSC
ice ken said:
well i believe in applied sciences and not the social side. i have an interest in physics and chemistry side of things when i do things, hence i choose applied. i believe with a good knowledge of applied sciences you can have many career pathways.
What is their relevance in society? How are you helping to build a better society? Have you chosen these subjects with this in mind or purely out of interest?

ice ken

HSC
bassistx said:
What is their relevance in society? How are you helping to build a better society? Have you chosen these subjects with this in mind or purely out of interest?
their relevance? well they help people understand how everything works and what happens during certain proccessess.

building a better society? yes we are making people smarter, making them understand the concepts of applied sciences, getting people to think, developing new medicines.

both mind and interest!

what about your point of view, explain, your making me getting interested, will talk to other ppl bout this topic.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
bassistx said:
what makes the world spin 'round?
The Sun's gravitational field which provides the centripetal force of the Earth's circular motion.
=]

haha, i don't think either is more important. Both are equally important in their own respect. Both can be applied to society and have broadened our understanding in different aspects.

I chose my subjects however purely based on interest for them. Science has improved our technology and understanding of the universe. WIthout science our quality of life would be much worse.

Social sciences have helped our society progress. Our economy for example, From keyne's theory of aggregate demand and that guy's theory of comparative advantage. Advances in social sciences have helped the relationship between nations and the development of the world economy.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
For science, I'd say - without it, you wouldn't even be using this computer, or the idea of a computer would be so unfathomable.

We'd be living in the stone age.

Social sciences, to me, only help promote wealth to have "more" of science and technology, it does not really make the world spin around IMO.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
bassistx said:
Call me the anti-christ but..

Science, above all, is about finding out the truth. A theory must be proven to be accepted and it is regularly questioned and redefined. Without science (or before science) the church had absolute power. People would take what they hear and pass it off as fact. If it wasn't for science we would still believe the world was flat, we would be so easily manipulated.

Science is very relevant in society.

bassistx

HSC
ice ken said:
what about your point of view, explain, your making me getting interested, will talk to other ppl bout this topic.
I'll get back to this.

BackCountrySnow said:
The Sun's gravitational field which provides the centripetal force of the Earth's circular motion.
=]

haha, i don't think either is more important. Both are equally important in their own respect. Both can be applied to society and have broadened our understanding in different aspects.

I chose my subjects however purely based on interest for them. Science has improved our technology and understanding of the universe. WIthout science our quality of life would be much worse.

Social sciences have helped our society progress. Our economy for example, From keyne's theory of aggregate demand and that guy's theory of comparative advantage. Advances in social sciences have helped the relationship between nations and the development of the world economy.
Relevance, not importance.

No-one has addressed the issue of 100 years ago/today though.
BackCountrySnow said:
Science is very relevant in society.
To answer the question, this would be "applied sciences are more relevant". Correct?

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
tommykins said:
For science, I'd say - without it, you wouldn't even be using this computer, or the idea of a computer would be so unfathomable.

We'd be living in the stone age.

Social sciences, to me, only help promote wealth to have "more" of science and technology, it does not really make the world spin around IMO.
qft

HSC
i think if you want to learn more about 'society', social sciences are more for you

however applied science is way more competitive and this shows how much the applied sciences have dominated career paths based on their pay and how fast things advanced.

but i still love social science.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Hello2U2 said:
however applied science is way more competitive and this shows how much the applied sciences have dominated career paths based on their pay and how fast things advanced.
Nope. Sciences courses are becoming less and less popular.
Now it's the commerce boom/

bassistx

HSC
I don't feel anyone quite understands the question. It'd be better as a discussion irl.
Thanks anyways.

Prosper

HSC
Social sciences is a catalyst for science to advance.

Without money people wouldn't bother to advance science.

But, without science the church would still have an immensable hold on a lot of the population.
Thanks to science I am finally free from my childhood indoctrination.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Prosper said:
Social sciences is a catalyst for science to advance.

But, without science the church would still have an immensable hold on a lot of the population.
Thanks to science I am finally free from my childhood indoctrination.
hahaha.

by the way, thread creator (I forget your username), I shall put in my two cents:
Applied sciences and social sciences are equally relevant to the study of society/sociology. Applied sciences have created social change, through changes in economic modes of production etcetera, and are therefore relevant as forces of societal and cultural transformation; hence relevancy to understanding how and why contemporary society "works". However, social sciences are also relevant to the study of society, as they enable a heightened understanding of social interaction, processes and culture, in addition to the concepts of identity formation (nature/nurture debate discussed in the social science of anthropology) and linguistics, in addition to many other areas.
Hope that answered the question.
This might be obvious, but do you study Society & Culture? If not, you should :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)