society survey (1 Viewer)

Someguy123

hey i am just wondering if you can fill out my survey on teachers and swearing in class, it shall only take a few mins! thankyou so much ( this is for a society and culture project) changing language and attitudes of teachers in class

* Do teachers say words, sterotypically associated as bad such as "bloody" "hell" and "crap" in class?

1) Do/ have teachers sweared in any of your classes?

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion)

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them?

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!?

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)?

6) Do you classify "slut" and "crap" as swear words.

8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use differemtlanguage and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy

9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class

Kulazzi

HSC
1 Yes

2 accidently

3 ummm......"don't be stupid".........no, they have no right

4 No, it's not normal

5 No way man!!!!

6 no (say "crap" sometimes in front of parents, so it can't be a swear word ;))

7 No Q7?????

8 Nope, not really, depends on what subject really (like in science and pd/h/pe some teachers may refer in that way)

9 well if teachers do the references in that kind of way then it is obviously inappropriate but swearing is not commonly done in the classroom in front of students at my skool (if they do it by accident then i guess its ok cos maybe from the stress or "bad day")

jeska

1) yes

2) occasionally accidently, but when it happens, its quite intentional

3) suppose shit and fuck mostly... they are used in context and never towards an individual

4) normal depends, as long as it was in reference not in naming an individual

5) no

6) no

8) i dont think it really depends on whether they are allowed too, but more, the relationship between 11 and 12 students are more relaxed, and thats a way of expressing the way the relationship between teachers and students have changed.

9) i guess i believe that as long it isn't directly aimed at an individual, there isn't mush wrong with it, they are after all, just words.

LVB

Yes, most commonly "shit" and "crap"

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion)

once by accident, but in extension where our class is really close-knit we all swear

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them?

only in a small group,

crap, shit, idiot, hussy,
I have been called a wanker and my friend has been called a hussy but it was all in good humour

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!?

it wouldn't bother me but i do not consider it normal practice

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)?

yes, general teachers have more of a connection to the students therefore feel more comfortable swearing. higher status teachers have to be detatched from their specific classrooms etc therefore cannot allow themselves to show any weakness

slut yes, but crap no

8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use differemtlanguage and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy

when teachers teach senior years they become more comfortable so i don't consider it wrong for them to discuss adult things in a mature and ethical situation

9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class

in our english class, our teacher feel comfortable to speak more 'colloquially' to us as we are considered mature adults. some teachers need to think about what they say in a large group but in a small group where there is a connection between students it is ok.

sometimes texts have sexual references and we are all adult enough to take them with a grain of salt and not make any references to them

beergirl

polka dots are cool
HSC
yes

on purpose

Some teachers say crap a lot, but i dont find that offensive
Another teacher, as I go to an all girls school comments on the bitchiness of it all
Another teacher implies the swear word, e.g. "I dont give a... care"

Depends on the context, as long as it isnt derogatory to anyone than its ok

Nope, I think it all changes when you become a senior as you have a different relationship with the teachers so they can be more themselves with us.

Hmm... Crap No
Slut i think its offensive like more than bitch and i find it inappropriate but no i dont think it is a swear word, rather offensive language. (Perhaps you should have used diff terminology)

I think its just a relationship hcnage, as a junior teachers were authority figures but when your a senior they are more so mentors and so they are closer to us and thus as long as it isnt derogarory to anyone i dont mind.

I guess some words are ok, it all depends on the context in which the word is said or comments are made.

Someguy123

hey guys! thanks SO MUCH for your replies

keep them coming if you have time

THANKS once again

tali_sarah

1) Yes

2) 99% of the time all swearing has been accidental. There is however, the occasional on purpose as part of a conversation.

3) Personally I've never had a teacher that used any words that I was offended by. Everyone has a right to use them, it's up to personal discretion and that is an important part of teaching and the whole 'duty of care' thing they have going on.

4) Depends on the context. If it was directed towards someone then definitely no! If a teacher was stating that an individual had been 'complaining' that everyone was calling her a "slut" then I don't think there is anything wrong with that (as long as it was a move on behalf of the teacher to attempt to rectify the problem and so on). Define normal?

5) No, not at all.

6) I suppose so, but again it all comes back to context. Calling someone a "slut" is a 'swear word' but using it in a conversation stating that maybe you overheard someone call someone else a "slut" then no. It's not like saying f**k. Back to context again.

8) That's running a fine line and heading into sexual harassment territory. Then again different texts have sexual references, classes such as PE and so on. All depends on what the reference is to/about and how it is directed. Different language is developed between teachers and yr 11 and 12 students. In these years the relationship changes, you're on a more equal playing field.

9) Swearing is a part of everyday life and every individual considers different words offending and to different degrees. I don't consider a teacher saying something like "shit" to be a major issue, in fact it barely registers these days when you're surrounded by much worse.

Good luck with your PIP!

gracehowden

just me
HSC
* Do teachers say words, sterotypically associated as bad such as "bloody" "hell" and "crap" in class?

at my old school they used to, but my new school is catholic and they are pretty strict and dont swear at all.

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them? some teachers say shut up or whatever, but nothing really offensive. they arnt allowed( have no right)

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!? if it was in that context it would be ok, not if the teacher wa calling someone a slut

no. most teachers dont swear becos its not the 'propper' thing to do in a classroom, they are influencing kids etc, i dont think it matters about their 'status' in a classroom.

slut is a dregoritoy term used to dregrade women, not a swear word as such.
depends on the context. language and realtionships definatly change in years 11 and 12 and teacher s view the students differently than to younger years, alot more equal

i dont belive a teacher swearing ( context important) is an issue. it depends, there is a limit, like i wouldnt expect a teacher to being swearing every sentece but" shit " or what ever once in a while never hurt any one. by year 11 ad 12 u should be old enough to handle that.,

good luck

canisay_Elvis

Elvisite
HSC
N/A
YES
Both
My teachers swear, but only when quoting someone or when it's necessary. I dont find it offensive or bad. They have used most common swear words (shit, fuck, bloody, damn, bitch etc)
4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!? Yes. They are not using it in an abusive manner.

NO. if one teacher has the right to swear, they all do.
yes, but only when they are directed as an insult. "you are a slut" is not acceptable but the example above shouldn't be considered offensive.
Yes. I think it's fine for swear words to be used by a teacher, in a senior class as long as it is not used in an offensive manner. It;s also important that teachers keep their language non-explicit when teaching younger years
9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class.
My teachers didn't swear (on purpose) in front of me until year 10, when i became a senior. Now, they o9nly use the language when it is necessary, and never direct it at a person (eg. you are a shit)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)