Sociology of Everyday Life - SOC180 OR Economy and Society - SOC182 (1 Viewer)

will90211

HSC
Hi ya'll (and May Cat, I know you're lurking... somewhere :p)

I intend to minor in Society and Culture as part of a BA DipEd with a major in modern and a minor on AHIS (Excited for this <---). For S1 i'm doing the standard introduction course for sociology: SOC175 - Australia and Global Societies: An Introduction to Sociology which for me is kinda boring but I'll wait and see.

So what which units do you think i should take? right now i'm looking at: Sociology of Everyday Life - SOC180 OR Economy and Society - SOC182

Also... because may cat is prompt with answers...

I've manged to fit in two minors and one major into my degree, looking at the template the education dept gives for a major in modern with a dip ed. currently, i do my SOC 100 lev units in year 1. then i resume them all the way back in year 4 to give me time to do my people/planet units. Is this wise? I plan to do my education (excluding tep) and ahis units in year 1 - 2 (with some space in year 3 and 4 for at least 1 unit more of ahis). sorry again my cat to enlist your help... And although I enroll tomorrow I have learnt to value your advice... :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hi ya'll (and May Cat, I know you're lurking... somewhere :p)
One of the very few perks of being temporarily (oh dear god, please temporarily) unemployed i suppose.

I intend to minor in Society and Culture as part of a BA DipEd with a major in modern and a minor on AHIS (Excited for this <---). For S1 i'm doing the standard introduction course for sociology: SOC175 - Australia and Global Societies: An Introduction to Sociology which for me is kinda boring but I'll wait and see.

So what which units do you think i should take? right now i'm looking at: Sociology of Everyday Life - SOC180 OR Economy and Society - SOC182
Do what looks most interesting to you.

I've manged to fit in two minors and one major into my degree, looking at the template the education dept gives for a major in modern with a dip ed. currently, i do my SOC 100 lev units in year 1. then i resume them all the way back in year 4 to give me time to do my people/planet units. Is this wise? I plan to do my education (excluding tep) and ahis units in year 1 - 2 (with some space in year 3 and 4 for at least 1 unit more of ahis). sorry again my cat to enlist your help... And although I enroll tomorrow I have learnt to value your advice... :)
It doesn't really matter tbh. You can complete your requirements in which ever way you want, so long as you account for pre-requisites. I've heard TEP units can be really dull though, so you might want to make sure you have a good mix of interesting units along with the boring ones. This way you're more likely to retain your sanity.

will90211

HSC
SPOTTED!

Are there any requirements for minors that the uni sets down? The BaDipEd only says that you require a minimum of 4 units of study in the chosen area with at least 2 units over 200 level.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Almost correct.

A candidate may complete a minor, or minors, with each minor comprising a minimum of 12 distinct credit points (4 units) stipulated for a particular major in Part 2 of the Schedule of Majors, including 6 distinct credit points (2 units) from that major at 300 level or above, where ‘distinct credit points’ means from units which are not counted towards any other majors or minors.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2013/Majors/UGMajors

will90211

HSC
In english...?

Edit: Think i've got it... so to qualify for a minor(s) you have to satisfy the requirements of the major, one of them to complete unist over 300 level. how'd I go? or do you have to complete 300 level units for a minor(s)

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It is in English. You'll have to figure out how to interpret this sort of crap eventually, what do you think it says?

will90211

HSC
Aww come on don't be like that...

I think that it says you can do minors but you must do the 300 lev units required for your major.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It means that to complete a minor you must complete 12 cp (4 units) from within a Major, 6 of which (3units) must be 300 level or above and must not be counted towards any other Major or Minor

will90211

HSC
So I can't do 2 lev 100 units and 2 200 units? I didn't think to do a minor, for example in AHIS, you had to do 300 units?

Edit: this is not to try your patience (or indeed, your sanity) but you can tell im sure that im confused as hell

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
So I can't do 2 lev 100 units and 2 200 units? I didn't think to do a minor, for example in AHIS, you had to do 300 units?

Edit: this is not to try your patience (or indeed, your sanity) but you can tell im sure that im confused as hell
haha, it's all good.

You need to do a total of 4 units from the requirements of the Ancient History major. Two of these must be 300 lvl or above.

See here: www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2013/Majors/UGMajor/Ancient+History+-+Egypt+and+Near+East

So you must take:

- 2 units from the 100 or 200 lvl AHIS units
- 2 units from the 300 lvl AHIS units

will90211

HSC
Is it possible within 2 years to do that with just 4 units allocated to that? I've been looking at this in the education guide:
"To meet expectations of prospective employers students are required to qualify for a second teaching subject. To be accredited for the second teaching area students must complete a minimum of two years study (4 units) in a discipline with at least six credit points (2 units) of study at 200 level or above".

If i have to do 300 level units I'll have to re work my degree.. and my enrollment session is tomorrow!

will90211

HSC
Hmm just looked at this: In general terms, a minor requires completion of half of the requirements of an approved major. In practice, a minor requires completion of 12 credit points taken from an approved major, including 6 credit points at 300 level.

Looks like I'm going to be in for a big night re working my degree and timetable.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Correct.

Make sure you pay very careful attention to the pre-requisites of those 300 lvl AHIS units.

Don't worry about having to re-work the whole thing before tomorrow, just make sure that you bring all of this up with your academic adviser. Maybe make a list of all the important points/questions you want covered. You're still leaps and bounds ahead of many of the students who show up to enrollment quite literally never having looked at their degree requirements.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)