Software developer view of h/ware? (1 Viewer)

-X-

HSC
N/A
Hi
ANyone doing this topic? I just wanna know if were are meant to learn those logic gates symbols? My teacher is not sure so she told us to just learn them.

Last edited:

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
yeah i think you have to, but theyre not too hard to remember, theres only like 4 or something and the opposites are with a circle

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Yes you have to learn them :), they won' tell you what each does, you may have to draw a truth table for a logic gate.

JRasnier

for certain u need to know them.......easiest way to remember is getting different diagrams and just running through them over and over again, like actually working out the output.....but for certain there will be a question about that in the hsc, just check out 2002 hsc, there was a very big question about logic gates...

tieki

Yep, learn them...mostly its drawing a complex truth table from a given circuit, or designing a circuit to fit a given truth table, but that's harder...

lawrencema_1985

HSC
you really only have to know three: AND OR NOT...the rest you can work out pretty easily.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by lawrencema_1985
you really only have to know three: AND OR NOT...the rest you can work out pretty easily.
ummmm u missed

XOR

NAND

hehe logic gates get fun when u get it, i mean its just following a logical pattern
hence logic gates

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
hehe logic gates get fun when u get it, i mean its just following a logical pattern
hence logic gates
Are you serious?? :p

-X-

HSC
N/A
geez man...All my SDD studying is independent. Especially for the option topic. Teacher confuses the whole class. She Relies too much on the book and can never give u a straight/quick answer without checking the book. Even after telling u the answer, u can tell she doesnt really understand it. Since the begining of the year i've stopped listening to her in class.
Heres an example from about 2 weeks ago. she thought that -100 can be written as 10^-2. If u cant do that, how are u meant to do the conversions? :rolleyes:

Heh sorry for ranting.... and thanks for your replies. :D

Last edited:

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
Originally posted by -X-
Heres an example from about 2 weeks ago. He thought that -100 can be written as 10^-2. If u cant do that, how are u meant to do the conversions? :rolleyes:
:rofl:..geez..he has to study maths again..my teacher just looks at the txtbook and then the air saying "good question, I'm trying to find a way to explain the answer without confusing you", and at the end I get it, but i still think its not true for other cases:p

JRasnier

u still only have to learn 3 not all of them, because the rest of em are just extensions of the 3 basic logic gates...but theres no harm in remembering all of them...just for ppl who think its too much just remember the 3...

-X-

HSC
N/A
Yeh logic gates are pretty cool. I got this program that lets u design logic circuits and allows u to actually run your circuit (using switches for input and LED'S or other stuff for output).

I made a simple 1/2 Adder and a "Minuser" lol, cant think of a better name. :D

lawrencema_1985

HSC
Originally posted by Winston
ummmm u missed

XOR

NAND

I said you need to know AND, OR, NOT...the others you can work out. "The others" being NAND, whose output is the opposite of the AND gate's output and similarly for NOR. XOR is the same as OR except for when both inputs are true.

That's why i said you really only have to know three, although it wouldn't hurt to learn all of them

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by lawrencema_1985
I said you need to know AND, OR, NOT...the others you can work out. "The others" being NAND, whose output is the opposite of the AND gate's output and similarly for NOR. XOR is the same as OR except for when both inputs are true.

That's why i said you really only have to know three, although it wouldn't hurt to learn all of them
yes i know, but it seems like -X- was a little confused as to know what exactly he had to know, you shouldn't assume he would automatically know the complements of the gates are, and be able to derive it, especially the XOR gate since it is completely a different gate in comparison to a NAND and a NOR gate

Johnny Corrupt

You REALLY need to know them if you are doing the 'Software developers view of hardware'

Also know your Binary.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Johnny Corrupt
You REALLY need to know them if you are doing the 'Software developers view of hardware'

Also know your Binary.
obviously LOL
since it's a sub topic

and your previous post?

XNOR?
never heard of that lol

i don't think that exist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)