Software Development HSC course w/ no prior school knowledge?? (1 Viewer)

saltshaker

HSC
I've found out that the selective schools I'm planning to apply to offer software development for the HSC and the course is listed as something that could help my uni studies (not a pre req or assumed knowledge thankfully)

From people who've taken this course did you feel you needed a lot of prior knowledge of the content to keep up?

My parents said I should be fine because I've taught myself basics of some coding languages before (forgotten now so useless) and am decent at maths but my school didn't offer any electives like multimedia or IST. I know those aren't a pre req but taking those before SDD would've been a decent lead in to the course.

I could just not get into selective and the problem would be solved lol
P.S. also feeling a lot of FOMO from looking at what selective schools have to offer. I'm sitting here in my music elective class feeling super bored because my teacher has to teach the basics when I've already learnt all of this through AMEB... and people can accelerate music (Fort Street)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I've found out that the selective schools I'm planning to apply to offer software development for the HSC and the course is listed as something that could help my uni studies (not a pre req or assumed knowledge thankfully)

From people who've taken this course did you feel you needed a lot of prior knowledge of the content to keep up?

My parents said I should be fine because I've taught myself basics of some coding languages before (forgotten now so useless) and am decent at maths but my school didn't offer any electives like multimedia or IST. I know those aren't a pre req but taking those before SDD would've been a decent lead in to the course.

I could just not get into selective and the problem would be solved lol
P.S. also feeling a lot of FOMO from looking at what selective schools have to offer. I'm sitting here in my music elective class feeling super bored because my teacher has to teach the basics when I've already learnt all of this through AMEB... and people can accelerate music (Fort Street)
Na the course assumes you have no programming experience. It quite literally starts with ‘hello world’, so if you already have some prior experience you should be all good. Take the course if you’re interested.

saltshaker

HSC
Na the course assumes you have no programming experience. It quite literally starts with ‘hello world’, so if you already have some prior experience you should be all good. Take the course if you’re interested.
sweet

all i have to do is actually finish the application (hopefully not on the evening before its due)

dasfas

HSC
It's definitely doable, everything is taught from the ground up. I myself had 0 programming experience before uni and I am doing fine.

That said, while it is an introductory course, it's typically bloody hard and you will need to work on it consistently. Programming is something that requires a ton of hours to get a grasp of. Additionally, the assignments are typically really long and require A LOT of time to finish. But you will learn a ton from doing them.

Many people struggle because they think it's a chill introductory unit that they can put on the back burner. These people fail the unit. Please don't make the same mistake :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)