Software Engineering / Computer Science+Honours / Software Engineering + Commerce (1 Viewer)

HSC
I've read all the stuff everywhere, and I still can't decide :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Halp.

Is the commence add-on for seng useful for anything other than making more money? What kind of jobs would follow?

What's so hard in the 3rd year seng workshops which makes people fail?

With compscience, it's possible to choose all electives to be computer subjects, right? (apart from general ed.)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
From what I understand:
- its group work, so you might have dodgy group members
- subject itself isn't all that exciting

Starcraftmazter said:
With compscience, it's possible to choose all electives to be computer subjects, right? (apart from general ed.)
Yes you can, except in first year and maybe some of second year because there aren't any COMP electives you can do as a first year. And in second year you don't have the prerequisites to do most of the COMP subjects yet.

HSC
sunny said:
Yes you can, except in first year and maybe some of second year because there aren't any COMP electives you can do as a first year. And in second year you don't have the prerequisites to do most of the COMP subjects yet.
So what can you pick instead? Any easy stuff?

PS. Are open days any good for anything?

Last edited:

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
you can pick any subject in any school as long as you meet the prereq's.
you do 1921 or 1927 in second sem 1st year. they allow you to do a lot of 3rd year subjects in 2nd year... pretty much what I did

Theres tons of easy stuff, but its not worth it; you end up so damn bored (i.e. don't do INFS. experience says its terrible)

open days = waste of time

ace

is retired
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
So what can you pick instead? Any easy stuff?

PS. Are open days any good for anything?
Just do what you wanted to do originally. i.e. Seng/Comm.

If it's not for you, you can easily transfer to CompSci/Comm after one semester. Or if your marks at Uni are high, maybe even transfer to CompSci/Law.

Just saying, try it out. You can always switch. :p

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Where did you hear this? I don't think people fail 3rd year SENG THAT easily. By 3rd year, if you survived your first 2 years of COMP and SENG and know how to program well, you will survive 3rd year SENG.
I have only one advice, i.e. get to know your cohorts, form a good team and work together.

grimreaper

HSC
Actually, the 3rd year first semester seng subject (SENG3010) has a very high fail rate. Of 12 teams last year, only 7 passed the subject. However, any teams that pass that will usually end up passing seng3020 as long as they put the same amount of work in

HSC
Damn guys, forgot about this thread. Thanks for the replies,

ace said:
Just do what you wanted to do originally. i.e. Seng/Comm.

Just saying, try it out. You can always switch. :p
Yes I could, however softeng and compsci are almost identical in the first year, and are in the first semester (if I remember right), so I'm not sure how I could decide to switch early on.

zagadka said:
then again if you are contemplating commerce in the first place, it means your mindset is a total mystery to me so maybe you will like seng/commerce
The main reason I wanted to do commerce, is for $$$$$. Seeing as how I had the UAI for it, it seemed like a waste not to do it. I did a commerce elective in years 9-10, seemed alright, got good marks.

chris_c28 said:
Where did you hear this? I don't think people fail 3rd year SENG THAT easily. By 3rd year, if you survived your first 2 years of COMP and SENG and know how to program well, you will survive 3rd year SENG.
Heard "horror stories" about people finding the workshops very difficult and such. However I've never failed at anything before, and it's doable, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

chris_c28 said:
I have only one advice, i.e. get to know your cohorts, form a good team and work together.
Thank you.

After doing a lot more thinking, talking to people I know, and research, I decided to stick with software eng + commerce, and obviously got it, so yeh.

Thanks for all the replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)