Software Engineering without Honours ? (1 Viewer)

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Hey y'all

I'm considering doing the BSc Advanced Maths (Hons)/BE Software Engineering (Hons) at UNSW, but I would not want to do it if I did not have the option of not doing honours for engineering (i.e. just honours for advanced maths). Surely I can do this degree without engineering honours, but the handbook only gives details about it with honours (http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3761.html).

From what I know the honours is in the 4th year, so would that mean that the only difference between honours and non-honours is the 4XXX courses (COMP4920, COMP4930, COMP4931 and the 2 4th year professional electives) ? Would that mean I could get a BSc Advanced Maths (Hons)/BE Software Engineering (No Honours) just by not doing these courses ? Or if I've got it completely wrong, can someone please tell me how it all works ?

Thanks.

turntaker

HSC
Hey y'all

I'm considering doing the BSc Advanced Maths (Hons)/BE Software Engineering (Hons) at UNSW, but I would not want to do it if I did not have the option of not doing honours for engineering (i.e. just honours for advanced maths). Surely I can do this degree without engineering honours, but the handbook only gives details about it with honours (http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3761.html).

From what I know the honours is in the 4th year, so would that mean that the only difference between honours and non-honours is the 4XXX courses (COMP4920, COMP4930, COMP4931 and the 2 4th year professional electives) ? Would that mean I could get a BSc Advanced Maths (Hons)/BE Software Engineering (No Honours) just by not doing these courses ? Or if I've got it completely wrong, can someone please tell me how it all works ?

Thanks.
Just do Comp sci/ Advanced Maths.

D94

HSC
N/A
Hey y'all

Thanks.

Honours in engineering is different to honours in most other degrees. Honours is awarded based on your final year performance. You do not do honours, it's an award/achievement. You will complete a thesis alongside other final year courses, and the result of your final year will place you in an Honours class, highest being Honours (I). If you do not achieve the marks, you will still have (Honours) alongside your degree - you simply won't be classed. In other degrees, honours is an extra year on top of your degree.

froogle

HSC
N/A
software eng without honours = comp sci

Both degrees are fairly similar otherwise.

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Honours in engineering is different to honours in most other degrees. Honours is awarded based on your final year performance. You do not do honours, it's an award/achievement. You will complete a thesis alongside other final year courses, and the result of your final year will place you in an Honours class, highest being Honours (I). If you do not achieve the marks, you will still have (Honours) alongside your degree - you simply won't be classed. In other degrees, honours is an extra year on top of your degree.
Ahh i see thanks for clearing that up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)