software engineering (1 Viewer)

johnwoo

hehe chang, be nice. They're lost souls at crossroads. We all went through similar things. But ye ok some questions are dumb :p Well I guess its what these boards are for. Having said that....

The rest of these forums are full of sad lil self-important dipshits and no-lifers, macking and trying to convince the community (aswell as themselves, I'm sure) how lively, cool and intellectual they are. High schoolers and uni students alike. I was browsing through some thread about photos in the non-school forum looking for you lot, before I realised there was a UTS forum. Man, they're the saddest bunch of fucktards I've seen in a good while. Socially deprived boy sooks cuz friends tease him, macks some fugly bitch calling her sexy, blames his sooking on lack of sleep and alcohol; meanwhile bored lil morons post random comments in a lame attempt to be funny so their retarded bunch of peers can say "haha you are so funny". Some of them list lame ass achievements and such in their signature in the all self-important manner. One of them even had as a signature, the hypocritical statement "Idiots piss me off" or something. Shuddup and grow up or eat shit and die.

Ok, now that I've gotten that outa the way. I'm happy to answer your questions and concerns :p

-X-, I'd say those that are listed are the recommended ones. Its usually pretty flexible, you just have to speak with the course co-ordinator prior. A major in say, applied physics, is probably broader than you think. Theres probably a dozen physics subjects associated with that major you can choose from. Anyway, to answer your question about doing purely physics, No. As it stated 72 out of 96 credit points in the science component must be part of the major (eg. applied physics). The other 24cps can be anything from the science department.

Engineering at UTS i think has the highest employment rate. I don't know if that statement is derived by comparing the faculty with other faculties at uts, or with the engineering faculties of other unis. Salary, well, doesn't matter if you're doing accounting, IT, engineering or whatever. If you don't have any experience at all in the field then you aren't looking at more than 35k. The rest depends on how good you are at your job, how much more experience you can gather, social/economic/industrial factors.

Best thing for you guys to do is to take the initiative and contact the university. You may want to acquire industry contacts who may answer some of your questions or even speak to an academic advisor. They'll be able to provide you statistics, career paths and also negotiate the flexibility of your desired course.

You don't have to worry about choosing majors in your first year of uni. Its usually done towards the last/2ndlast year of a course.

Each subject you do has a specified number of credit points. Most standard courses here are worth 6cp. Its like the HSC, where you have units of study. 4 unit maths, 3 unit maths, 2 unit etc.

Last edited:

-X-

HSC
N/A
Thanks Allot. I had another look at the UTS site and i get it now. But one last dumb question. :p
According to this: http://www.uts.edu.au/div/publications/sci/ug/strands.html "Strands for Science/Business and Science/Law" has Applied physics as 96 credit points. But "Strands for Science/Engineering" has it as 78, is this because engineering/science share similar subjects?

Thanks again. :)

johnwoo

Err. I know about as much as you do on this. I didn't even know what was meant by the term strand till i had a look at the link. Hence, whatever I'm about to say is just what I can surmise with no prior knowledge, so you might wanna check up :p

Actually, its not very hard to understand. By combining the site contents with your previous quote, being

Students are required to complete 96 credit points of science subjects of which at least 72 credit points focus on a major area of study in science, medical science or biotechnology.
then it surmises that you choose 72cps worth of subjects out of either 96 or 78 respectively. There could be a strand of 600cps, it doesn't matter, its just the breadth of choice you have. Obviously, the reason why there are more choices in the science/bus and science/law degrees is because there are more science subjects that can be relative to business/law than engineering.

Now don't you feel stupid? :p

But ye, remember that things are negotiable.

These programs are indicative rather than prescriptive. Students may, with the approval of the Associate Dean or relevant Head of Department, undertake alternative programs in order to fulfil the academic requirements for the degree.

johnwoo

Don't thank me now. Thank me later.

I.e. When you guys are in uni, and I feel like a free lunch.

NewKleer

HSC
normally its optional whether to keep the dip prof prac or not. following i think is taken from single degree stats from people doing dip eng prac (good universities guide, check newsagent for later edition)

from 2000 stats, % of people who get jobs within 6 months of finishing, and av starting salary:
UTS IT: 98%, $43k
UNSW IT: 92%, $38k
USyd IT: 90%, $42k
UWS IT: 79%, $33k

UTS Eng: 93%, $37k (software engineering would be higher, perhaps higher than IT)
UNSW Eng: 89%, $38k
USyd Eng: 85%, $36k
UWS Eng: 73%, $28k

asdf

HSC
Hey guys, just a question. The "Diploma in Engineering practice" that is part of most of the eng. course, is that the one that lets you have 1yr industry experience? The degrees such as "bachelor of eng. Bachelor of Scien." dont have it so im assuming u dont get the 1 yrs experience?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by NewKleer
normally its optional whether to keep the dip prof prac or not. following i think is taken from single degree stats from people doing dip eng prac (good universities guide, check newsagent for later edition)

from 2000 stats, % of people who get jobs within 6 months of finishing, and av starting salary:
UTS IT: 98%, $43k
UNSW IT: 92%, $38k
USyd IT: 90%, $42k
UWS IT: 79%, $33k

UTS Eng: 93%, $37k (software engineering would be higher, perhaps higher than IT)
UNSW Eng: 89%, $38k
USyd Eng: 85%, $36k
UWS Eng: 73%, $28k

do u have stats. for this year?

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by asdf
Hey guys, just a question. The "Diploma in Engineering practice" that is part of most of the eng. course, is that the one that lets you have 1yr industry experience? The degrees such as "bachelor of eng. Bachelor of Scien." dont have it so im assuming u dont get the 1 yrs experience?
yeah, eng. practics is when u get 1yr indutrial practice....and yeah, if u do a combined degree such as "Bachelor of eng. Bachelor of Science", then u gotta do another year (6 years) in order to get that 1 year experience as well

NewKleer

HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
do u have stats. for this year?
there should be an updated edition of the good universities guide out...not sure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)