Solomon Islands? Should they join us (1 Viewer)

Vahl

HSC
Given the disasterous situation in the Solomon Islands, and their inability to ever support themselves due to their extremely poor natural resources and human capital, should Australia absorb the Solomons as another state of the Federation.

I think we should, although it is strategically a poor decision, ie it makes us more vulnerable, surely it would allow us to enforce order in the Solomons and fulfill our human rights obligations.

nb: I am of the view that the Solomons may yet ask for such a thing from Australia.

BronwynKate

HSC
What a nice idea.

I think we should take over several other Pacific islands who are being basketcases at the moment, especially ones that we have strong connections with.

I feel very sorry for the Islanders at the moment.

It was not their fault that they had a riot and happen to be in a rocky part of the world.

Vahl

HSC
BronwynKate said:
What a nice idea.

I think we should take over several other Pacific islands who are being basketcases at the moment, especially ones that we have strong connections with.

It was not their fault that they had a riot and happen to be in a rocky part of the world.
Yeah I agree. We did the wrong thing granting them independence. We should first ensure that there is a strong government, modern infrastructure and strong economies before we let them have independence, if that is their wish.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I hope you guys are shitting me.

One, they would never ask to be absorbed.

Two, we could never absorb them.

Three, what do we have to gain?

Four, how would it change the situation anyway? As it stands they survive off our aid (like queensland) and we have our police and our armed forces deployed there.

Five, wtf - we granted them independence, wtf? PNG was the only one we ever possessed.

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
Vahl3 said:
Given the disasterous situation in the Solomon Islands, and their inability to ever support themselves due to their extremely poor natural resources and human capital, should Australia absorb the Solomons as another state of the Federation.
no

banco55

HSC
Bugger that. They'd be nothing but a burden. .

Vahl

HSC
loquasagacious said:
Four, how would it change the situation anyway? As it stands they survive off our aid (like queensland) and we have our police and our armed forces deployed there.
Actually I disagree: at the moment any personnel we have in the Solomons lacks legitimacy. However, if they were self government security forces they may gain that legitimacy which would enable them to enforce law and order.

And on the other point - absorbing them for a short time would at least allow us to help create government institutions that aren't so blatantly corrupt and inefficient as to give rise to the current unrest, caused in part, im sure, by dissatisfaction with the government of the Solomons.

yy

HSC
N/A
that's pretty unrealistic. not going to happen

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Shall I list them:

1)No reason too - we can do all we want without it
2)Bad press aka colonialist power
3)More expensive
4)Would be rejected by the local populace
5)As a state the solomon islands would get six senators lol (even more ridiculous than giving Tassie senators)
6)etc
7)etc

BronwynKate

HSC
Christmas Island is an external territory.

Maybe Solomon Islands could be the same.

Comrade nathan

HSC
BronwynKate said:
What a nice idea.

A sovereign nation deserves a bit more respect then a sick puppy.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
A communist and a free-marketeer agree.....

I think that this whole thread (or rather its proponents) are afflicted by a sense of superiority and a belief in Kiplings "white man's burden", by and large a bunch of misguided do-gooders.

Oh and incase anyone hasn't noticed invading and building a new state isn't an easy, quick or effective solution, iraq anyone?

HSC
Damn. You're going to have to add me to that agreement list loquasagacious.

Basically, this sounds like a bit of good old fashioned imperialism to me albeit with the best of intentions.

1) Yes, The Solomons is undergoing some political trouble but so are a lot of places.
2) Solomons law enforcement personnel lack just as much legitimacy at the moment as Australia's do.
3) Making them a part of the Federation would mean absolving all political insitutions and replacing them with Australian ones. Riots anyone?
4) What right do we have to interfere with the running of a sovereign country? No one tells us how to do things, oh......wait.......Indonesia. Thats for another day though.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
If we annex the island and grant the inhabitants Australian nationality, there would be no legal ground for refusing them entry to the mainland. A mass exodus would be likely which would leave the islands de-populated. No matter how determined the effort at building infrastructure and establishing an un-corrupt bureacracy, few natives would want to move back.

Bad idea.

banco55

HSC
We should take the chinese minority if we take anyone. The chinese control nearly all the businesses in Solomon Islands and could actually contribute something to australia.

Vahl

HSC
Imperialism is a healthy reality.
It protects us from the barbarians.

BronwynKate

HSC
You people should have seen the cartoon in the Age yesterday, or possibly the day before yesterday.

A nation is not soveriegn if it hasn't got law and order, nor a government.

According to Tandberg it's the US who tells us what to do.

Yes, you're right when it comes to Iraq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)