Sols (1 Viewer)

pam17

like heaven to touch
HSC
How does everyone log onto sols? I have to use the student number/barcode/birthdate option cause the other one is always denied. That'll all change at orientation I heard, of course...I often hear wrong.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I use my login and that stupid password of random letters that they won't let me change for 14 days.

pam17

like heaven to touch
HSC
What's the go with that? I should go and try to log on with that instead.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I think its on the printout you would have recieved after you enrolled on the computers. You can only change your password every 14 days I guess for security reasons. It makes sense except for when people first enrol and they have to put up with the stupid random letters for 2 weeks.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I think its on the printout you would have recieved after you enrolled on the computers. You can only change your password every 14 days I guess for security reasons. It makes sense except for when people first enrol and they have to put up with the stupid random letters for 2 weeks.
You should be using stupid random letters and numbers anyway. That's the best way to keep a secure password.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
No ones going to guess my password anyway. I have already memorised the random letters but I'd rather have it an actual word.

Aussiechick

HSC
poloktim said:
You should be using stupid random letters and numbers anyway. That's the best way to keep a secure password.
yes, but you could use random letters that make sense to you rather than just crap :)

Scanorama

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
One way to change it during the 14 days is to set a secret question and answer. After you have set the question and answer. then go to "Reset your expired or forgotten password" and set your new password from there. Hope this helps :)

http://www.uow.edu.au/its/services/manage-mail/student.html

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm fucking pissed off. The fucking dickheads won't let you have normal words. Just cause it's not random letters doesn't mean people will guess it. I want to be able to choose my fucking password and not have it controled. FUCK YOU UOW!

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I'm fucking pissed off. The fucking dickheads won't let you have normal words. Just cause it's not random letters doesn't mean people will guess it. I want to be able to choose my fucking password and not have it controled. FUCK YOU UOW!
It's not so much a matter of guessing as it is being vulnerable. Passwords based on actual words are far more easily cracked by dictionary based attacks. It may seem to be going overboard, but a password containing a combination of letters, numbers and/or symbols makes a huge difference to the amount of time it will take for an attacker to get it, in some cases the difference between a few minutes and a few days (Of non-stop 'guessing').

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
A proper password consists of letters, numbers and/or symbols. You have important information inside SOLS. It contains options to withdraw from subjects, change your HECS-HELP preference (from defer to upfront, for example), tutorial enrollments et cetera. Using a dictionary based word is as said above, making your account far more vulnerable. ITS have very strict rules on passwords, they don't think you want just anyone going through your important enrollment details.

An example of a random password would be:
<letter><letter><letter><number><number><letter><number><letter>

iamsickofyear12

HSC
No one is going to waste their time trying to hack into my account so it doesn't matter what password I have.

egnaro

HSC
i have to log in using the damn barcode thing as well.

Seems that i lost my enrolment paper thing and i cant really be stuffed travelling all the way up there to get my UN and Pass

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)