Solution of Maths Extension 2 paper (1 Viewer)

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
Damm, forgot to times the probability answer by 2. Ah well, still pretty happy with how it went.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Estel said:
Rench: you'll be penalised. Also note there should be open circles where the line cuts the circle.

Lee's graph of the curve is also incorrect. The curve cuts the asymptote y=x only once, at (0,0), as opposed to thrice as his diagram suggests.

Whingers like you would make me want to vomit if I cared enough.
Hmm..ah well. Hopefully I can still manage 2/3 marks for that question then. Actually, is that region meant to extend below y=-1 or not?

Abtari

HSC
i apologise for any dubious interpretations of wot i wrote previously...

but the fact remains that the part of the curve in between 3 and -3 should meet the asymptote y=x at x=0 only, not like in terry's solution, where they are meeting at three distinct points...

and the other mistake which i pointed out in an earlier post, regarding the exclusion of the end points of the circle stands i think... terry's solution doesnt indicate the exclusion of the two points...

T

tactic

I was asked by Terry Lee to publish this on his behalf:

The asymptote y = x makes sense only when x -> infinity, so, for small values of x the asymptote does not exist. I did not find the y-values of the turning points, so the graph has been drawn to clearly exhibit the turning points. It does not mean to cross or not to cross the asymptote y = x. It's true the curve does not meet the asymptote y = x, apart from (0,0), as pointed out by your members. In fact, the turning points occur at (+/-0.6, +/-0.04). Let me draw your members' attention to this value of 0.04.

Having said that, I have modified the graph so that it does not cut the asymptote any more. You may download it again from my website www.hsccoaching.com/Downloads.html.

lum

HSC
is his answer to 1d wrong? i thought it was just x not 2x

Abtari

HSC
lum said:
it doesnt matter...both he and you are correct...
this is because if you take the '2' out you will get ln 2 or something along those lines, which is a constant c anyway...

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
lum said:

depends how you solve it

but if you simplify you will get Terry Lee's answer - which is the best - simplified answer.

lum

HSC
oh ok.. phew... i didn't want to lose any more marks than i hav already damn it

Abtari

HSC
menty said:
it cuts it 3 times....
when u draw the guide graph, theres 3 x values that arent asymptotes
wot u are saying is so nonsensical... can u clarify???

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
crap. I'm only looking at the solutions and i already feel left behind. I wonder how the 2006HSC is gonna be? T.T

-P_D

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
P_Dilemma said:
crap. I'm only looking at the solutions and i already feel left behind. I wonder how the 2006HSC is gonna be? T.T

-P_D
it should be an easy exam...(if you go by the alternate year theory)

it'll be good for you if ur average/not very good.... and bad for you if your really good.

then again, every exam was fucked up this yr (well the ones i did) so maybe things like physics will be fixed next yr.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)