Some Advice for the Class of 2006? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
2005 Visual Arts students,

What is the best information and advice you could give to '06 HSC students, for doing their best in Visual Arts?

In reference to the BOW, case studies and theory, exam technique.... anything!

Any advice you could pass on to us would be greatly appreciated :)

PublicUser

Banned
HSC
Start planning your BOW NOW.. so you can start right away in 4th term. I was lazy and indecisive beyond belief, and try to finish before Trials.

Art essays love adjectives.. just write down every single emotion or feeling you could ever draw from the artwork. And nothing is wrong.

If you're good at English, you'll do fine at Theory.

Art is most likely your last HSC exam, and I'll going to start studying for it the last ten days before it!

I didn't do much, and that was fun.

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
suck up ur teachers bum...

theory is pretty easy, make sure you dont loose the notes thought, be organised and just get started on your Major as soon as you can!

goodluck!

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Basically what the others have said:

Start your BOW asap, and make as much as possible, try not to get too bogges down in conceptual ideas and diary.

Looking back, i spent too much valuable time on my diary, i would have prefered to have heaps more actual work, even if i hadn't used it.

My diary is now quite impressive, huge infact, but it probbaly won't even be seen by the examiners.

And theory, basically just keep your notes and listen to your teachers feedback.

And get out and see art, like thye may sound stupid, but seriously, go and see as many exhibitions as you can, and read the reviews and critiques about them. This will help you to no end.

Take the reviews home, stick them in a book, that's what i started doing, i find it really helps you know what you have to say in the theory, it helped me to really give art answers, instead of english answers.

And have fun, seriously, enjoy art. Don't make something you won't enjoy, and study artists you find interesting, that's the most important thing.

And Good luck!

penciltron

HSC
u will probably do best if you love art and have the passion to do the extra work i agree with everything been said so far...
most of my tips are for the BOW and since i do tradiitonal crap thats the only advice i feel i can give
dont be afraid to experiment the BEST way if your doing tradiitonal art is to do as many prep drawings etc. as you can...because having it in front of you is better than some idea in your head..
work out different compositions and research about artists working in a similar way as you...try and make sure youre not too narrow minded about the style and way you want to work..

also i started mine in term 4 (december) and got a lot done but then in april i went in a whole NEW direction and comepletely started it again.,.,
.they were originally for an exhibition but then after i went well i decided to use them for my hsc and i ended up finishing i think about 9 A2 drawings and a big 1 metre long one. theres so much time be sure to USE the holidays to work on it too they are invaluable!!!

so the thing is always be open to changing your idea and go with your instinct...you dont need to finish the first one you start theres a million possibilities...
the worst thing you can do is be scared to start i saw people in my class go endlessy over ideas and the concept but you need to DO something to actually let the idea evolve... they go hand in hand the more you make the more diverse you get with your idea etc.

also if youre doing drawing (this is wat i did) i would suggest any life drawing classes...draw your friends..draw as much as you can same with painting i guess
theres plenty of books you could get at libraries on the figure/anatomy if its going to be figurative or just making art in general...make sure you research
i guess it will come down to how much you love art ...if your someone like me who lives to draw then it wont be a hassle, lol, but yeah i hope my rambling will help you...

also one more VERY important thing in fact the most important thing i can think of is to always be OPEN to criticism...constructive criticism is the best thing for us and opinions from friends, family can help...as long as theyre not like "quit" or anything...but remember a lot of the time your teacher will be trying to help but then again ive heard some whacky stories about teachers but since i can only speak from experience i know mine was extremely helpful! if you are doing drawing ill be happy to give you any advice/ help i can.

sorry for the rambling i have no life, lol

cate_7x

HSC
It's always good to have a few plans for your BOW from term 4 - but be flexible. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and change everything. And don't stress too much, if you plan and aren't too lazy you should be fine.

Also - choose something that you enjoy - something personal which you'll have passion for. Some people plan their BOWs in relation to what they think will get you the best marks - remember you need to work on this for a year, you want something you'll enjoy.

Good luck!

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
OMG DO NOT...
I REPEAT!!
DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BOW TO THE LAST MINUTE
PLEASE DONT FUCK IT UP LIKE I DID!!
DONT...

my 2 cents :)

veavents

HSC
With subjects like visual arts, the key really is to NOT PROCRASTINATE. They're ongoing things and if you get lazy, your work suffers as a consequence. If you're doing another major like the one for DT, you really have to be organised or else when it comes to the trials you might have to work on both your projects at once which will then take time away from your studying. Use your time in class wisely. When it comes to creating a concept be original, its always nice to use subtle symbolism, the ones that aren't cliche.

Last edited:

H.S.What?

HSC
make sure your concept/idea for your BOW is solid and you definately want to do it because the longer you leave it till you realise you dont like it and want to change your mind, the harder it will be to create another new piece from scratch by the due date...

and also, wen ur just sitting there daydreaming, think of things you can chuck in ur major, it'll save you time sitting in class thinking about wat ur gonna put on the canvas next then starting with 10mins of the lesson to go. Be prepared

and have confidence in what you're doing. The amount of times ive hesitated before putting somehting else into my BOW and then thinking ''wow im glad i finally got the balls to do that'' is countless.

arooshika...

HSC
do not keep changing ideas, make them solid and that you can do. i changed my idea in march, which was not to late but i had to use photoshop, something totally new cause my drawing and painting was becoming weak for some reason. think outside the box, i was completely new to it so i took lessons and tutorials from the internet and friends. its just not an artwork but also a fun learning experience!

b-rex

HSC
dont ever

Dont ever Pick Visual Arts if you think you can make art that you want to make for you
you are making it for [B]them[/B]
and no body knows what THEY want.

penciltron

HSC
bah it depends on ur teacher...my teacher let me draw watever i wanted ...and besides wen your artwork has a personal connection it makes it easier to work on it and u enjoy it, and it turns out well because of that.

shortie_689

HSC
Im not an 05er but here is my advice get stuck into ur bow NOW develop it an work it so u get ur desired finish... Theory practice... And MEMORISE... For ART i memorised all these points to an essay i studied an had checked then in the exam i adapted the points to the question an wrote the essay out... it is easy if u can work it properly

as someone said above its great to love art.... I love to draw so it made it easier for me to sit at home an just draw an to go to the art rooms in frees an just draw... I did a lot of work on preparin it in my VAPD i infact had 2 VAPDS that doesnt count for much but i felt prepared if u love it ull do it an ull make the effort...

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
Make friends with your art teacher. Even if she's terrible and dabbles in black magic.

ghostofme

HSC
lol^ righto....

my art teacher was just a bitch! gave help to those that needed it but also had way too much input in the artworks at times, tried to change them
do what u wanna do, only go to teachers if u really need it
i stayed away from my teacher till about 3 weeks before it was due, and even then i listened more to the other art teachers than my class teacher.....
just plan, know what u want, have a very developed well researched idea and never stop revising and gathering info through the year, coz even if u settle on a design early....something may happen to change ur mind, be flexable

Counterfeit

HSC
Dear Class 2006:

Art is not all romantic, easy peasy, lovely stuff.

I say just pick an idea, ANY idea early on, and stick with it. It will develop into something you like.

I was idiotic and waited untill about half way through term 3 before i really started ahhaha!
I realised too late that the perfect idea was never going to come, it was just up to me to pick something and MAKE it happen!

So yeah, get cracking! Tomorrow! And the beautiful thing is when u start this early if you decide your idea isnt exactly what you want you have time to trash it and start again with the experience to guide you :D:D

Best of luck!

csq

HSC
Start NOW. have a good idea of what you want by the chrissy holidays and check out how much mounting costs before you do your BOW, taking it in by 5 cm each way could save you heaps$$$

bubu

and unless your realli intellegent dont put 4unit math and art, its a pain cause they both take up alot of time

i learnt it the hard way with alot of stress cause i thought i could bludge art but it turned out to be a less bludgey subject than i thought

pmr_123

HSC
when doing your BOW, make sure it is something that you are interested in and are going to enjoy doing, or else you'll be like me and try 3-4 different things before giving up and doing something easy with a term to go...

for the exam and theory, jsut know the frames and the conceptual framework really well and apply it... pick your artists carefully for essays and have fun :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)