Some advice? (1 Viewer)

Lachlan18

HSC
I was accepted into Bachelor of Science at USYD, and surprise surprise, after sort of looking forward to studying Biology, Maths, Chemistry, etc... I realised I DON'T look forward to studying them and NOR do I want to continue doing them in the future! I should have realised this in January when I actually had a chance to change my Prefs, but as an idiot, I did not, and now I guess I'm a bit screwed.

And so I'm doubting that it's possible to change courses since everything's already begun, and courses that I could see myself continuing or being happy with such as Arts had no vacancies this year (but doubt even vacancies would enable anyone since the year's begun), so I guess that option is not possible. So does this mean that I am indefinitely screwed and stuck with this course, and having to do more Chemistry, Biology, Maths or other Science subjects again?

I don't really know what my options are, apart from "stick it out for 1 year", but if that happens, then, with a lack of motivation, I could see myself failing or just not going to labs, tutes, lectures, etc. HSC Chemistry and Maths was more than enough for me and I guess science altogether. :p

Unless I decide to withdraw the entire course and work for a year and re-apply in August/September again and wait till Main Round offers once more? But I don't think my parents would want me to do that (and I know it's about me, but they will be a big hurdle if I do decide that). But even if I decide it, they'll eventually understand.

But I guess in effect, I am wasting a year.. how dissapointing.. :p

And so I guess I want to know if anyone knows a way to work around this situation? Any advice? Am I really stuck in this course for 1 year? (I think the answer is Yes). Should I withdraw it - do the positives outweigh the negatives? Maybe even reccomendations on jobs I could do if withdrawing is my only option, haha. :p Sorry that this is a stream of consciousness but I just feel a bit helpless and confused, and this sucks. :p *emo cry*

Skeeta

HSC
its not census date yet. Withdraw, earn some money and reapply during the mid-year.

WOuld your parents rather want you to waste three thousand dollars studying something you DONT want to do, than have some time out, work your ass off.. possibly reach the youth allowance threshold etc.

If you use your time smartly you arent really "wasting" anything.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
science first year is fucking terrible
i seriously hated it with every fibre of my being. i was really miserable and struggling heaps. if youre not committed in the first place don't do it. you probably wont pass. my 2nd yr is better and im glad 1st yr's behind me, but if you're going to do it half-heartedly you shouldnt do it at all. youve got til 31st march

gerhard

HSC
two choices

drop out

or change your subjects. im pretty sure the uni system will let you enrol in lots of arts subjects say even though you are doing a science degree. i dont know when the cut off date is though.

if you changed from b arts to b science say you could still get half credit even by doing the proper units. out of maths, 2 science subjects and an arts elective, you could probably claim three of those as part of an arts degree.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^correct. drop all your subjects and pick up anything from the commerce/arts faculties (ie anything that you can take with you when you apply for transfer) that seems relevant to you. I think some first year subjects have a special permission thing on 'em, so you might wanna check that out.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Most first year subjects are dead boring for the first couple of weeks. Not much you can do about it besides stick it out. It should get better (from the sounds of it, it seems it couldn't be much worse anyway).

You should still be able to transfer over anyway so long as your UAI makes the cut off. There shouldn't be any need to though because I'm pretty sure you can do other subjects as long as you fulfil the requirements for your science major (usually a certain number of credit points in whatever area you want to major in). The science faculty and arts faculty tend to get along reasonably well when it comes to interfaculty subjects.

And if all else fails, drop out before census date (march 31, i believe) and re-apply semester 2 for a course you'll like.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Even though it's been said:
Withdraw from all your subjects
Enrol in the subjects you want to take (Arts)
Maintain a credit average
Transfer after one year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)