Some BOW advice for future Visual Art Students (1 Viewer)

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I have had to compose some advice for COFA's art express exhibition for their education kit and I figured that I should post my answers here, so as to help future visual arts students with the BOW

What advice would you give students who are just about to make a body of work for the HSC?
The HSC Visual Arts course is particularly broad, when it comes to the making of the BOW, which makes it really difficult to find a theme.

Firstly I suggest that one must be inspired; go on the internet, browse the online art communities, go to galleries and
look through those lovely expensive coffee table books (go into Borders). Do not get inspiration off Myspace either.

Also I think it’s a good idea to experiment in a variety of mediums as the HSC course allows you to select from drawing, painting, sculpture and many others.

Don’t always look at the famed works of art by the masters, look at all sorts of artists from all eras.

Can I also make mention of the recent ‘emo’ and scene photographs conveying teen issues - most of these have been covered before in previous BOWs and aren’t really too original to the markers. Besides, you don’t want to be the same as everyone else do you?

Think outside the canvas.

Remember that you’re making an original body of work that reflects what knowledge you’ve learnt in class from artworks and artists as opposed to just stylistic inspirations.

Anyway, once you’ve found an original theme or concept for your work, discussed it with your teachers; stick with it to the end, it is only now I’d suggest you limit yourself to what you’re good at practice wise and finance wise. Please don’t’ try film if you have no editing room access.

Constantly experiment, ask for other opinions of not just teachers but friends, your
neighbours. The website www.deviantart.com is also a fantastic way to get feedback on your artwork, find inspiration and is free to join.

Finally, DO NOT in ANY circumstances, leave your work to the final month before it is due in, as you will completely fray at the edges and besides, it’s generally due around the time of your trials, not fun aye? Set aside a bit of time each week and that way you’ll be less stressed.

Though one can plan their
BOW as much as possible, changes wrought by accident or inspiration will occur; allow these to happen because most of the time they’ll be for the better.

Good Luck Class of 2007 with everything you endeavor and stay off Myspace!

chrismund

HSC
agreed! leaving yourself insufficient time is the real killer i reckon

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
hmm ..thing is i feel like i've already finished my BOW, is it too soon? like i've shortlisted images i want to use and i'm fairly certain about them. i guess now if i get any sudden inspiration or whatever i can just add it and ask peoples' opinions on what i've currently done.

jessal

HSC
ahen said:
hmm ..thing is i feel like i've already finished my BOW, is it too soon? like i've shortlisted images i want to use and i'm fairly certain about them. i guess now if i get any sudden inspiration or whatever i can just add it and ask peoples' opinions on what i've currently done.
already finished?
wow
you still have a whole year , so you should work on your BOW to make it better than it already is.
and work on your vapd and processing

voodoobiskit

HSC
luscious-llama said:

Good Luck Class of 2007 with everything you endeavor and stay off Myspace!
LOL Thank you for this! Its good advice and I love the emphasis you put on experimenting :]
Myspace is evil (and so passé) haha so I should have no troubles staying off it :]
& I also agree with the deviantart idea. Its an excellent site and the people are so friendly and insightful with their comments. Hope to take advantage of that myself later on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)