some cambridge complex Q's (1 Viewer)

ordnaiv

Ethereal
HSC
sorry to be bothersome, but I'm kinda stuck on these 2, so if anyone can help out that would be awesome.

1. If p is real, and -2<p<2, show that the roots of the equation x^2 + px + 1 = 0 are non real complex numbers with a modulus of 1

2. Let H and K be the points representing the roots of x^2 + 2px + q, where p and q are real and p^2 < q. Find the algebraic relation satisfied by p and q in each of the following cases:

when angle HOK is a right angle

when A, B, H and K are equidistant from O

Riviet

HSC
N/A
ordnaiv said:
1. If p is real, and -2<p<2, show that the roots of the equation x^2 + px + 1 = 0 are non real complex numbers with a modulus of 1
discriminant=p2-4(1)(1)
=p2-4

Now given -2 < p < 2,

then p2<4

p2-4<0

Therefore the discriminant is less than zero. Hence the roots are non real complex numbers.

Now product of 2 roots of equation = c/a = 1

So that means that the modulus of the product of the two complex roots is 1, and the only possibility for this is when both complex numbers have a modulus of 1 since 1x1=1.

Note: I've assumed that the roots are complex conjugates, which is a theorem that you'll learn about in the polynomials topic. Complex conjugates have the same modulus, their arguments are equal but opposite in sign e.g @ and -@.

Let z=rcis@ so that its conjugate is rcis(-@).
Then rcis@.rcis(-@)=r2cis0
=r2

Now r2=1 (product of roots)

.'. r=+1

But r is a distance so we take r=1, giving us the modulus.

Last edited:

ordnaiv

Ethereal
HSC
yeah that's what I thought but there are no answers at the back of the book for that particular question so i was unsure.

thanks for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)