Some dot point helps (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

Discuss the need for alternative sources of the compounds presently obtained from the petrochemical industry

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
* Crude oil will run out in the next 2-5 decades. Most of the discussed polymers in this chapter are produced from crude oil, and when oil supplies run out we will require alternative sources of compounds to continue production. Even though the petrochemical industry currently only consumes 3-5% of the total oil used in the world today, when the oil runs out, it's gone.

* It has been suggested that that since the petrochemical industry uses so little oil as compared in monetary terms to their gross output, when oil production drops and the price of oil rises, the petrochemical industry will be the only industry able to afford the remaining oil, and thus will have the rest of the oil to themselves for several years. However, this eventuality is regarded as a "best-case scenario".

* Ethanol is a prime candidate as an alternative source of ethene, the most valuable hydrocarbon in the petrochemical industry. Ethanol can be produced through fermentation of a variety of agricultural crops, and it can be easily converted into ethene through dehydration.

Hope that helps.

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Good on ya insert-username, that is exactly what you need to answer it.

COCO_moiselle

HSC
furthermore....

- currently, Australia has petroleum reserves that will last about 10 years and natural gas reserves that will last about 100 years

- fossil fuels which are essential in the petrochemical industry have taken hundreds of years to accumulate
~ over 95% of fossil fuels are burnt as a source of energy and once burnt, they are no longer available
~ less than 5% of fossil fuels are used to make plastics and only a small % of that plastic is recycled

- therefore, alternative sources will be needed to meet energy and material needs in the future as fossil fuel sources are used up

COCO_moiselle

HSC
by the way,
I know i've mentioned this many times in the forums

but...

I am willing to tutor anyone for Maths, Physics or Chemistry

I came top of Ascham school in the class of 2005
I was ranked:

1st in Maths ext 2
1st in Maths ext 1
1st in Physics
equal 1st in Chemistry
1st in Latin

I can provide you with detailed notes and summaries for all these subjects
including prior notes - prior is an HSC tutoring college in Sydney - and also my own personal notes covering the whole syllabus

Please feel free to contact me via boredofstudies or by email if you need any help with your HSC

(my email is jswpang@gmail.com)

I guarantee that I can help you....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)