Some information about Law (1 Viewer)

Andi0390

HSC
Hi.

I've studied Arts for a year (ANU and O.S) and decided to attend UNE this year in Arts as I pretty much want to live in the smallest place possible that still has a university with decent subjects, which UNE is to me. Anyway, as I've always wanted to do Law I put Arts/Law at UNE as my first preference on UAC and quite surprisingly I got in, my UAI was less than ideal for various reasons, but my GPA obviously lifted me up a bit.

So now I am faced with first year Law which is both exciting and terrifying and I wondering if I could get some advice.

I know UNE is far from the ideal law university, I have no delusions that it is some super cool law school or anything, but I was wondering how much this actually matters? I don't really want to be a lawyer, I am attracted to a law degree as I feel it could increase my employability in sort of social science/humanity type (hopefully practical) jobs, as well as provide me with extra knowledge. So maybe working with disadvantaged people or something - I'm not sure yet, but becoming a hot shot lawyer is not my aim. Does it really matter for me where I got my degree? Will my degree be considered terrible, or just not special?

Also, I understand there is a large workload. Is this something that is manageable by time management and regular study? Will I still be able to be a law student and have a life? I like to read, and am a fast reader, how many hours a day would one expect to put aside for the first year law component of a double degree?

For the people doing law, are you glad that you did it? Is it something that you really get into, or something you sort of have to struggle through? Would you recommend the course to others (for the course itself - not its outcomes)?

Thanks for any advice or sharing of experience. :)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Do law if you want to be a lawyer. If you just want to increase your employability just go find a job now. If you want to increase your social knowledge, read wikipedia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)